• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

83 nighthawk CB 750, rear wheel removal

Gsjj

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have done some searches and nothing came up for a 750. The 83 750s have the quad pipes (2 on each side) The problem is that they are in the way of the rear axle removal. I don't see any way to do this other than removing the pipes, is there any other way to remove the wheel?

Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Honda-CB750SC-Nighthawk-H1508-rear-swing-arm-with-bolt-/232539910357

Look at the second pic and a Nighthawk with same arm you have, only one year earlier.

The chain adjusters get backed off to drop out of the way then the 2 pillow blocks slip out of the ends on the swing arm to let entire WHEEL including brake backing plate and axle come out BACK of bike rather than axle coming out sideways. Not a whole lot more fun but doable. It'll be interesting getting that fat -ssed tire under/past the fender.

Hello,

I think I am following you. What exactly are the pillow blocks? I am sure they are easy to identify if I were currently looking at the bike. Do I remove the chain off the sprocket to move the tire back?

He's talking about #7 in the picture below
Capture.JPG

You should be able to loosen the Axle bolt a bit. Disconnect the Brake arm and actuator rod. Loosen the chain adjusters and turn them down. Push the wheel all the way forward. Slide out the stoppers (#7). Take the chain off the front sprocket. Then pull the wheel off.

This makes sense, thanks both of you for the help. I just ordered the brake shoes, I will give it a try next week.

Too much trouble to take chain off FRONT sprocket..............when axle is loose then remove the nut and the right spacer which will let the wheel slide to the right and then chain has enough side space to come off BACK sprocket without messing with the front at all.

Yes..............#7.

Too much trouble to take chain off FRONT sprocket..............when axle is loose then remove the nut and the right spacer which will let the wheel slide to the right and then chain has enough side space to come off BACK sprocket without messing with the front at all.

Yes..............#7.

Well awesome, wasn't 100% sure if there would be enough room to do this with the chain on the front sprocket.

Just an update.. The brake job went very smoothly and the wheel was removed easily as described above. I slid it forward, chain came off the rear sprocket and it has plenty of slack to just barely set the wheel on the floor after moving it back to remove from the bike. Then, the process is simple after that. Those were the original shoes from 83, (though only 6300 miles), but, no more squeaks front or rear. Very nice braking now. I will have to do this again soon as I will getting new tires as the current ones are around 6 years old with some cracking.

Thanks all for your advice

Last edited:
Back