• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Safe to test starter without gas tank?

zzaacchh

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I have just inherited a '78 CB750 from a family member, which I am really excited to get running again. It was, apparently, running just fine before the family member hooked the battery up backwards, frying out much of the wiring. Not certain that's what happened, but that's his best guess.

I'm at the very bottom of the learning curve here, so please forgive me if this question sounds a bit dumb: Can I safely test the starter without the gas tank attached? I'm currently going around the bike, component by component, trying to make sure the various electrical components work. I'd love to test the starter and I see no reason this should cause any problems (after all, it's the same effect as just cranking the bike with clogged lines or carbs, I would think) but I'm trying to adopt the "measure twice, cut once" approach to fixing this bike, so as not to cause any additional headaches.

Any help you folks can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Zach

Thank you for the quick response, Gofastis1. Out of curiosity, is the idea that cranking for longer than that could cause pistons to seize, due to low oil lubrication in a "no start" situation?

Best,
Zach

Thank you for the quick response, Gofastis1. Out of curiosity, is the idea that cranking for longer than that could cause pistons to seize, due to low oil lubrication in a "no start" situation?

Best,
Zach

No, it puts a strain on the starter to run it longer than that. Properly tuned bikes will start in less than 10 seconds. Having said that if the bike hasn't run in several years, removing the plugs and putting a tablespoon of oil down the hole will not hurt anything.

No, it puts a strain on the starter to run it longer than that. Properly tuned bikes will start in less than 10 seconds. Having said that if the bike hasn't run in several years, removing the plugs and putting a tablespoon of oil down the hole will not hurt anything.

That makes sense, Gofastis1. Thank you.

If there is ANY fuel in the tank then it goes without saying to mop up any spill on top of engine before cranking starter as the drip may have landed directly on it.

Back