• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

removing rear panel and seat

You're not going to like it.

Thinking the chrome strips on each side come off first then the colored part of the upper fender. Lots of bolts. Then the seat thinking bolts down about 2/3 of the way back using two brackets welded to the frame and about two-three inches in front of top rear shock mounting point. Remove the one bolt on each side and slide seat back off the front tab to remove it. Try to get to the seat bolt on each side first in case there is enough clearance to not have to remove the rest. Look up under the edge of the chrome molding strip there, they may have a space provision to be able to reach under with a box-end to get to the bolts and they look pretty short to come out easy.

They certainly were not planning on people doing that very often.

Last edited:
i will have to give it a go. my 79 honda cm400a is a lot easier to remove seat. lol 2 latches each side. you pull them back and seat pops off. i s

Look up under the chrome like I said, they could easily hide the one bolt on each side there for clean looks, a couple inches or so in front of the top of shock mount, the frame clearly shows a bolted bracket there. The F models come off exactly the same but the bolt is out in the open, two bolts and seat is off. It really doesn't make sense to have to pull all the rest just to yank seat, as it must remove to remove tank, which is a normal maintenance thing.

success! seat bolts a bit hidden as po painted them black. the rear cowl is broken at the bolts, not sure why he did that. not sure if i want a new one or find a fix. one side cover is snapped at grommet.

The problem with the side covers and they all eventually do it when the rubber grommet gets hard to grab the cover pin so hard that you break the cover trying to pull it off.

I have broke many side cover tabs off in the past. The best fix is glue parts back to together with ABS cement not PVC glue but ABS it actually melt bonds the parts together. As AMC said replace grommets with new or as I do coat them often with lubricant.

Back