• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Carb attachment

Thejboard

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting my carbs back on after I rebuilt them. For some reason I can't get both sets of boots to line up and stay with the air box. Any recommendations for putting mini air filters on each one? If I do will it still hold the carbs?

They are not. I took them off to clean them and they wont go back on. The air boots are attached to the box.

I first thought you were having trouble attaching the airbox to carbs, that’s why I asked
Now it sounds as if you’re trying to attach the box and then put the whole assembly on - am I miss reading that?

I can not get the carbs to attach to the air box. They are on the intake and clamped but the air box won't line up where it bolts, the hoses connect, and the carb is fully attached

Seems like there is confusion as to what you are having issues with....send some photos of what you are having issues with and it may be easier to help determine what the issue is.

Putting them on “straight” - all four at once - sounds logical, but I’ve always done it one at a time. Start by attaching to #1, tighten clamp enough to hold in place, then the same with 2, 3, 4. You will need to wiggle and finess as you go but can fine tune everything into place once all four are on.

I was trying to get out of OP the bike type in post #3 but nothing, that could easily make the difference here but they damage their chances like so many do.

'I can't this or that...' is useless without more than is being given. We don't even know if it is a Honda........

You've now said that 4 times. Say something else that changes your situation, you are locked in a mindset that is not serving you well at all. For 3 days now.

Post a picture of your alignment issue, only way we are going to be able to help is if we can see what your issue is.

Why not put the mini air filters on the 79? The air box seems bulky and I was hoping to use the mini air filters for the purpose of having more space and ease for maintenance the future. Also in the past it has been difficult for me to put the carbs back on without ripping the rubber from the air box connections.

Because the carbs don't like them (CV type) and then it leads often to tuning issues with anything less than a perfect running engine and most do not have that. The OEM single shared airbox design stimulates the carb slides to open more fully.

So is there no reasonable alternative to the air box? Re-tune of the carbs? Im not keen on the idea of working the carbs in and out with the air box. Is there something I'm missing putting the carbs back in that is making it so difficult?

You're in same boat as everyone else, the physics will not be denied there. It IS difficult putting the box back in. I myself installed with the back boots on 2 and 3 and then put the outers on after box installed and located. Removal by grinding the plastic rib partially off the airbox backbone can add some room too.

You can retune carbs until the end of the earth, that does nothing for the loss of the airbox effect on the carb slides they begin to raise slower and the engine goes too rich then but just for a second, rejetting then makes it too rich overall and the carbs open even slower then being rich as well. They open fastest at slightly lean. Same effect with older engine, the slides slow down in opening. It eats 'tuners' alive.

People actually spend big $$$$$$$$$ to get away from that, normal non-CV type carbs work with those airfilters all day long. Unfortunately the early DOHC never came equipped with them.

You actually CAN make the pods work but only under tight circumstances. The dominant one being the engine must be in top shape and where most of the mistakes are made, just having an engine that runs is not good enough, it must run REALLY well, like a new one. So many people now get one of these now almost 40 year old DOHC and then pop pods on and the problems begin, and then they go with the conventional wisdom that says you have to rejet up and then that makes it even worse, since yanking the airbox made the tune tilt toward rich to begin with.

A good engine will run well with pods, just no better than with the airbox, and the airbox will slightly run better in certain low rpm conditions where it gives more torque in quick on throttle conditions. Past that the pod setup will not pull out full max rpm, not wanting to run all the way out to the 9500 rpm redline in top gear, it will only pull to maybe 8000. Not a problem there though in the real world, how many times do you go there, it's over 110 mph............

Back