• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Resurrecting a 79 CB750F SS

everready

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my awesome uncle gave this to me. His son, my cousin, had it for a while. The plate tags on it now are from 2010. I got a set of keys made for it and hooked up one of my other bikes to it. The motor turned over but didn't start. I've ordered a battery for it. Here are some pictures.

This is what it looked like when I got it
IMG_20171028_172930489[1].jpgIMG_20171028_172937132[1].jpg

This is what came out of the gas tank.
IMG_20171102_162725957_HDR[1].jpg

And the inside of the tank.
IMG_20171102_162744356[1].jpg

I have vinegar in the tank now. I'm going to give a shake and stir it up and let it sit on different sides for a few days and see how much gunk comes out.

Al

Vinegar and SALT mixed until it quits dissolving and 100X as quick.

BUT once it is truly clean then it will rust up again incredibly fast if the local fuel there has ethanol in it, which is what likely did that.

I plan to spray the inside with WD-40 after a few thorough rinses. I hope that does the trick. If not, I guess POR-15 will be next. Thanks for the tip on the salt. I'm going to throw some in there now.

Where is the 30 amp fuse? I could not find it.

IMG_20171103_163437859[1].jpg

OK I think I figured it out. The fuse is supposed to go where the blue wire is, right? I pulled the spare one out and it crumbled in my hand. It was just a flat piece of metal with a hole in each end. If you zoom in you can see it sitting horizontally underneath the blue wire..

So is this the kind of fuse I need?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-30-AMP-M...259928?hash=item48a3a6c118:g:-s0AAOSwsBtZ57oB

Last edited:
Get a modern blade fuse and holder, and link it in between the nuts where the "dog bone" fuse was. You can get those at any motor shop, not so the dog bone. That bit of wire is no fuse, get it out quick, the wiring harness will be melting before that "fuse " blows, if at all! :(

Where is the 30 amp fuse? I could not find it.

View attachment 8074

OK I think I figured it out. The fuse is supposed to go where the blue wire is, right? I pulled the spare one out and it crumbled in my hand. It was just a flat piece of metal with a hole in each end. If you zoom in you can see it sitting horizontally underneath the blue wire..

So is this the kind of fuse I need?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-30-AMP-M...259928?hash=item48a3a6c118:g:-s0AAOSwsBtZ57oB

I hear you loud and clear about the blue wire. That looks like the handy work of the PO, my hillbilly cousin. Thanks for the tip on the inline fuse holder, one is on order.

Al

Well it looks like my exhaust is not salvageable. I may be able to save and paint the headers but the right side muffler has a big bulge in it.IMG_20171104_101100387[1].jpg

IMG_20171104_105844790[1].jpg

These slip-ons look decent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2FastMoto-...Motorcycle-Exhaust-Custom-Honda-/192030222719

EDIT: I took a better look at my pipes. It seems I'd have to cut the mufflers off of the headers in order for slip-ons to work. Not sure what to do now.
Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Al

Last edited:
??????

You don't know how to work a hacksaw? Cut right between that clamp for the heatshield and the weld ring at muffler. You will likely need to dump the heatshields or mod the clamp location. Before anything you need to check the new slipons as to their size at the opening, if too small all of this is worthless. You need mufflers that fit your pipe size.

Amc,

Yes, I know how to work a hacksaw. I've never modified or taken apart an exhaust system though. This is my first build.
I think I've found some slip-ons that will work. They come with various sized spacers. The OD of the header pipes just before the muffler is just under 1.7" so I think the 1 3/4 slip-ons would work well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2FastMoto-...442934&hash=item2cc78fc493:g:UVMAAOSw3v5YsFi8

Thanks for your input,
Al

You got it and cut away, first time for everything. Similar to what I do, build computer, wire the house, roof it too, and never paid ever for auto repair of any type ever including rebuilding electronic automatic transmissions with zero experience. At some point you just have to jump in and do it...............don't be afraid but don't be stupid about it either.

Well I got the master cylinder apart. Do you think it needs a rebuild? Can anyone recommend a rebuild kit? I'm going to need the entire plunger assembly and the oil cup assembly.

IMG_20171105_140246063[1].jpg

After doing some reading I just ordered a new master cylinder from David Silvers'. Fifty-four bucks delivered. That's cheaper than the rebuild parts.

Lots of them look that bad if they have sat. You cannot tell how bad the casting is until you clean it up much better than that, I've seen some that were in not bad shape at all but looked the same.

Whats your over all plan for this machine?

These are kind of in stages:

1. Get it running/change oil/do valves. It has only 8k on the odo.
2. Make it safe. I'll need new cables/tires/rear shocks/fork oil and chain-sprockets, at a minimum.
3. Clean it up best as I can. I'll probably have the headers sand blasted and paint them and cut the old mufflers off and put on some slip-ons.
4. Ride if for a few years and maybe do a full restoration on it. There is a powder coating place a few miles from where I work. I just need to figure how much something like that costs.

I already have a 13 Vstrom 650 and a 97 DR441. So I don't *need* the Honda to ride. It's just a project to help keep my busy this winter.

Sound deadening vibration blocks, most of them came without them and easily removed. Only on the earliest ones. They remove a slight bit of tinniness from engine noise for sound reduction, you would have to be a computer to notice the sound difference with or without.

Back