• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Need Help with oil lines

Radioone

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been working on a 74 CB750 and have decided to take the oil fittings to a local hydraulic service provider to refit new oil lines. The bike came with the motor and oil tank fittings but no oil lines. I can measure the distance between the fittings, but would like to know what the stock lengths were to confirm my measurements. Thanks for the help.

You can just use an oil resistant hose and hose clamps or get some hose from Cycle X. One is a suction line and the other is a very low pressure return line, hose clamps work fine. A measurement of the original lines wont help much as they are a formed line with some kinks and bends in them. Just get some oil line and route them and fit them yourself. A hydraulic shop will probably try to install way to stiff of line, the line wont make the bends around the frame and you will probably never be able to get them mounted as a result.

Thanks for the information. I thought I read somewhere that hose clamps won’t seal because of the oil pressure? Also is there a recommended ID for the oil lines?

No there is very little pressure on the hoses..its NOT engine oil pressure just a feed to the pump and a pump back to the tank...no pressure. You just gotta go with line that will fit on the fittings.

I can't really measure mine without removing them.

Buy some cheap hose that will fit on the fittings and make some "models" of the hoses that fit like you want. Then take them to the shop and have them copied with real hose. Hose clamps would work but would look pretty tacky.

Here's a photo of the original lines and that kink mentioned above in case your going for a resto look.

1974CB750K.Oil.Lines.jpg

The oem lines are form fit lines, they have several bends molded into them. Different years also used different hoses, they changed the bends several times. Depends on the type of hose clamps used, get some good aircraft style clamps. and they will look right at home on the bikes. I have yet to find a hydraulic shop that can replace just the crimp section of a hydraulic fitting as new hydraulic fittings have that piece as part of the new end. No hydraulic shop will have cb750 ends.

Yup they changed how they ran the lines a little. If it has the old style tank all the lines will interchange but not if you have a later style tank without the chrome dipstick cap. I would have to check for sure but I dont think they would fit.

Back