• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Oil under valve cover, normal?

chauer89

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a 1980 750k and drove it home. I thought it was running a little off and attributed it to the carbs not being synced or jetted correctly. I went home and looked at the spark plugs and decided to take the valve cover off. I am just curious to know if oil build up like this is normal or are rings worn/old and leaking oil upwards. I'd appreciate any thoughts/advice. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1440.jpg
    IMG_1440.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1439.jpg
    IMG_1439.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 105
Yes its has to have oil to lubricate everything, rings have nothing to do with it. Dont want to sound like a jerk or anything but you should really do some google searching on how engines operate etc. It will help to understand how your bike works.

Yes I understand that. I previously worked on a CX500 and when doing valve adjustments the amount of oil in the valves there was much less. I was just curious to know if oil build up like this is normal for an inline 4. Thanks for the response.

There is oil under the engine top cover of almost every engine on the planet, these have a lot as the cam lobes need lots of oil around them until the normal oil flow gets established once the engine begins to run. You can damage one if you did maintenance and did not refill the pockets with oil like having a new head installed.

A CX motor has the heads heavily tilted in normal mounting and why they drain off.

Back