• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1979 oil in exhaust

Adh5008

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum so hello everyone! I hope you can help me out. Im also new to bikes in general havnt even taken my motorcycle safety class to get my class M license yet... that all being said. I picked up a 1979 cb750k pretty cheap to learn to ride on. Been cleaning it up and if I can figure out how to post a photo from my phone I will later. I've noticed that when the bike is warming up she burns oil which I wasn't to worried about its an old bike and I'm sure some seals are bad. today I removed the exhaust pipes im going to repaint them black they are all rusted and the paint is chipping off. To my surprise theres a ton of engine oil in the pipes now my issuse is it's only in 3 of the 4 ports which seems odd. Do three of the pistons have blown rings? I would prefer not to have to tear down the whole engine to figure out where the oil is coming from... any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

20170909_151047.jpg
20170909_151047.jpg
Bike has 11k... previous owner said the engine was replaced and it's around 4k now

Rings are generally good to past 30K miles on those but that's not including owner incompetence or abuse. Be sure the fluid you have there is oil and not simply reduced fuel. People drive them all day long with bad carb issues, they have fits with the carbs. You may be driving with lots of fuel in the oil and very bad that too.

11K miles and already a new engine, and THAT one now ailing, it screams things about the PO.

Back