• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

81 CB750F Scrambler Project Help

BrusselSprouts

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I'm new to this forum and I'm looking to get some advice on how I should go about customizing my motorcycle.

I've had the bike for years now, rode it for about a year, and it now has been sitting for a while. I had always wanted to customize it and I now have the capital to begin doing so. Thusly, I am looking for some help as I have never done something like this before. I would like to turn the bike into something of a scrambler and would like to do as much of the work as possible so that I may learn about the mechanics of a motorcycle.

Some initial thoughts on what I should do:

Hiding the battery and other components. Possibly moving ignition switch:
How difficult would it be to build a new wiring harness so that this may be done.

Figuring out what can be done about the airbox besides pods:
The person that I bought the bike from put some pods on it and it never ran correctly. Could never get it over 80 on the highway. I rebuilt the carbs which actually made it run worse. Inconsistent idle and it bogged down in low revs if you gave it too much gas. Still not very fast either. The mechanic that i did the rebuild with said that it was likely because i do not have the original air box on it. It also has a vance and hines 4 into 1.

Chopping the sub-frame:
I would really like to get rid of all of the junk on the back of the bike and put a really simple seat on there with a small taillight. Where i would like to cut though looks as though it is structurally supporting the rear suspension. How much can be removed?

I would like to pull and paint the engine:
Bad idea? Is it worth digging into the engine and rebuilding it if I have it off the frame? It has 30k. I'm going to check the compression soon, but would a precautionary rebuild be completely outlandish?

Updating the suspension:
A lot of the bikes that I have drawn inspiration from have newer suspensions. I don't think that I want to go as far as putting gsxr forks or a single side swing arm on the bike, but I would like to add something a little "flashier" and possibly more functional. This is the one thing that I am super lost on as I have no idea how to even find what sort of suspensions would work on the bike.

I'm sure that I'll have plenty more questions as I move through this project and really look forward to working on it. Thanks in advance for any help that you can give

So I am new to restoring motorcycles, but I feel I do have good taste :) If it were me, and I owned an F model, I would take advantage of the vintage street look. The tank, side covers, seat and tail fender are some of the best looking variants of the CB IMO. No real need to run the "open frame" look IMO. The bike looks great with most stock pieces. Maybe drop the rear mud flap and get some flush mounting aftermarket lights, but even with the stock rear light, the bike looks sweet. Not like the SC or Customs, they are weird looking and require more modification to look like a modern restoration hence café seats, open frames and air pods. Restore the stock rubber and stock air box. Check the valve clearances and compression. Update and repair what's needed. Get it running good with stock air box first, then if you want, pull the motor and paint the frame/motor. I would run a zero drag, motor cross or clip on handle bar. But even the stock bar looks nice. Some F models had a sweet looking fairing also. I'm a big fan.

As far as suspension upgrades, I am going with stock parts with upgraded tires. I have been drooling over F bodies over the last few weeks on Pinterest. Good luck.

X2..................dissing a DOHC F like that is utter sacrilege, one of the best looking bikes Honda ever made. I cut the back fender even with the ducktail lower edge except for a plate created out of it to hold plate, to get the AHM racer look, along with a mirror and turn signal wipe, back of 81-82 spoilered front fender trimmed high, one inch drop on the front tubes, and short low race bars and then you have one of the b-tchinest looking bikes ever made on the planet. It never failed to draw stares.

Long after the rest of the early DOHC line is forgotten the F will still be much valued. It's that look that does it.

Yours though and do what you will.............

Back