• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New ember new project

tackled the wiring harness today, stripped the old outer tape off,gave everything a good clean, re taped with electrician tape, then over the top of that with self amalgamating tape,
looks a lot better and ready to go on frame. took about 3hrs.
before
IMG_2401.jpg
outer stripped off
IMG_2405.jpg
new tape applied
IMG_2408.jpg

I personally have never heard of anybody removing a chromed surface off of anything. But then sometimes I am a dumb-ss.

chrome

its strange why someone would want to chrome alloy, but I guess the last owner thought it would be a good idea back in the 80's ??
as you can see from pic most of it has flaked off over the years off been stood.
IMG_2126.jpg

What are you going to do? Media blast it and paint? I know all most nothing about media blasting but it seems you can do the engine with walnut shells. That's going to be my plan for next winter.

Media blast,
so far I have removed most of the black paint from the engine with paint stripper and hard work :-(
when it is all back together i will take it to get soda blasted.
I had it done to a CBX engine a few years ago and it removes all the paint and oil etc, but it doesn't do any damage to the alloy and is good for painting.
I used VHT grey primer and VHT aluminum as a top coat and it came out great.
before
IMG_2177.jpg
after cleaning with paint stripper
IMG_2185.jpg
cbx pics after soada blast
IMG_0360.jpg
in primer
IMG_0378.jpg
complete bike when restored
cbx6.jpg

Hi, really interesting to read about your project, Im also working on a 750 and Im wondering if you could help me by meassuring the ends of the exhausts, the diameter and length of the small pipes welded on the ends that goes into the top? Charlie

It's double wall pipe the outside is nowhere near the inside size...........

That's not chrome corrosion above in the pic, simply aluminum corrosion. The parts are polished to a high luster then get covered with clear paint and the paint flakes off to get that pattern when the corrosion attacks the uncovered parts. Look at the black head where the exact same thing has happened, no chrome that.

I'd be dead careful with modern enviro-friendly paint strippers as well, many use an alcohol of some type in them to make them water miscible and leaving critical parts in the stripper overnight can ruin them when the alcohol strikes up heavy water absorption..........BTDT.

Yes! Its the headers I mean, their outer diameter where the two-piece clamps fits around the pipe 😃 I threw mine away but forgot to measure for future exhaust system build.

Charlie I had to chop mine off and binned them as well sorry.

chrome,

yes there is a lot off alloy corrosion as well, but they had been chromed and there is still some off it in patches left on, i would say 90% has flaked off.

I will take a better picture and you can see the remains of the chrome. the engine has been painted and I have removed that, and there is alloy corrosion under the paint.
it has been stood for 26 years in poor conditions.

cheers
neil

Hi, really interesting to read about your project, Im also working on a 750 and Im wondering if you could help me by meassuring the ends of the exhausts, the diameter and length of the small pipes welded on the ends that goes into the top? Charlie
I have just measured mine the pipe is 40mm outside diameter, with the collar welded on it's 44mm internal diameter at this point is 29mm/30mm. Hope this helps.

some better pictures of chrome on the casings, it does look like paint,but believe me the flakes and is sharp chrome see bit of it in my hand below. if you zoom in you can see it better.
IMG_2435[1].jpg
IMG_2439[1].jpg
IMG_2437[1].jpg
IMG_2439[1].jpg
IMG_2440[2].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2438[1].jpg
    IMG_2438[1].jpg
    184 KB · Views: 161
update

started to put some gear on the frame, wiring harness, new headbearings and yolks on, battery box in place.
IMG_2442[1].jpg

also started to fabricate a bench engine stand, its not finished yet need some side feet fabricating to tie it all together and to stop it falling forward.
IMG_2443[1].jpg

update

not had a great deal of time on the 750, weather has been great this summer in the UK for once, so been out and about on the Thruxton.
went over to Northern Ireland for the cookstown 100 road races, a week in Scotland west coast great road up there, and just got back from Spain riding through the Pyrenees from Santander to Andorra great roads sweeping bends and lots of twistys as well:D

refurbished clocks, put on wiring harness, wheels refurbished, some of the electrics installed.
starting on engine next week, cylinder head overhaul and soda blasting the engine, and paint while the weather still good.
some pics below.

cheers

neil

IMG_3160.jpg
IMG_3159.jpg

Back