• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1992 CB75 nighthawk access coil install

Erne1sto

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi all. New to the forum. Have been looking over the posts and appears to be a very professional no-nonsense approach to all things CB750.
I recently acquired a 1992 CB750 Nighthawk. Purchased the Accel 140403 coil and wire kit. Am having a tough time figuring out how to fabricate or use the mounts supplied to properly install the coils. If anyone has installed these coils in a 1991 - 2003 Nighthawk CB750, please, please, show pics or advise how I may properly install them. Thanks to all. Darryl

What's stopping you from simply bolting them down like the OEM ones do? The coils generally fit most coil centers.

Thanks for the prompt response. Can't. The hole spacing on the accel coils is too wide. Also, if bolted directly to the stock mounts, the terminals would either face in towards the center of the frame or towards the outside of the frame and couldn't possible clear the gas tank.

Can you pic a picture with coil alongside the frame tube with holes?

Might simplify things.

50 ways one can go about that and none are rocket science but you must be willing to alter parts if needed.

My DOHC uses coils off a Chevy Baretta (twice as big) and on a simple strap metal bracket I made up in minutes after I was unhappy with how well those same Accel coils performed on mine. They really seemed to do nothing but work like OEM, and not what I was looking for.

Yes. Have the straight straps. The factory mounting holes are too close together to fit the slots of the straight straps I'll try to add pics to this response. 20170901_123201.jpg Thanks for all the help!:)

' The factory mounting holes are too close together...'

Of what, the frame or the coil centers? Making this way harder than it has to be....................show straps by themselves in a pic. You can use one end hole then drill another to suit.............3-4 things that can be done there and all are easy.

' The factory mounting holes are too close together...'

Of what, the frame or the coil centers? Making this way harder than it has to be....................show straps by themselves in a pic. You can use one end hole then drill another to suit.............3-4 things that can be done there and all are easy.

The frame mounts are too close to together to allow the coils to directly bolt on. Can't do that anyway because the coil towers would point directly inward or outward, not up or down.

The slotted brackets have the inside of the slots not close enough together to allow them to directly bolt the frame. I cannot elongate the slots or make a hole to allow direct placement to the frame because the elongated slot or hole would be behind the coil. There is no room behind the coil for any type of screw or bolt. Here are pics of the slotted bracket.20170901_153559.jpg20170901_153600.jpg

Back