• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

'78 CB750K - First Time Owner

rns0504

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just bought a 1978 CB750K from my neighbor for $500 while he was cleaning up his garage.

First time motorcycle owner, other than a vintage Sachs moped which was my grandfathers.

It has been sitting for about 5 years. Fuel in the tank but the petcock in the off positon - have not pulled the carbeurators yet to see the status.

My neighbor complained of an oil leak by the front of the motor (near the exhaust manifold) which would leak enough at speed to wet his pants - main reason he stopped riding it, so I will have to figure that one out

Not sure what direction to go with it - likely will keep it mostly stock and clean everything up the best I can. Also not sure if I just want to get it running and go from there (diagnose other problems along the way), or start with a strip down and total rebuild of whatever I can. Open to suggestions!

Looking forward to reading through the forums, there seems to be tons of good information here. My grandfather had many vintage bikes when he passed - over 40, many have been sitting since the late '80s or early '90s. I'm going to see if I can get someone to look in his garage and see if he had one of these. Going to fix it up in his memory as I'm sure he would have loved it

Also, can anyone recommend a particular service manual (there seems to be a few), or am I better off just sticking to online resources? Thanks!

2017-08-27 16.31.13-1.jpg

Picture of the bike. Been sitting in a carport for years, will be garage kept now on.

21191299_10203613819103900_1642170321_o.jpg
21170972_10203613825344056_1730710743_o.jpg

Going to try to fix it up like this one of my grandfathers. This one has been sitting covered since the mid 1980s probably (this is in his garage), 14k miles. I wish I was allowed to purchase from his estate, rather than fix up someone else's bike to be like his.

Oil leak will most likely be the rubber nickel seals under the cam towers. Head gaskets can also leak but the nickels would be where I pace my bet. Unfortunately no major work can be done with the engine in the frame. You will have to pull the engine then pull the rocker arms camshaft and cam towers to get to the nickels. First thing you need to do is get a HONDA factory manual, no hayes or chilton crap. Then go through and do compression test to see if it is even worth fixing. Do all Honda tuneup items. Carbs will be dirty guaranteed.

Thanks! Will do and keep this updated.

I feel fairly confident in my abilities, although this is my first motorcycle I've rebuilt my fair share of four wheelers (strip down and start fresh) as well as truck/4x4 engines and such

Back