• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1978 cb750 cafe project

Jon E

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a 1978 cb750. The engine has what appears to be a cracked upper and lower case. I am tearing the bike down to the frame, and starting the restoration process from there. My current intention is to cafe the bike. Feel free to voice feedback/advice/opinion.

IMG_0273.JPGIMG_0270.JPGScreen Shot 2017-08-11 at 9.06.09 PM.jpgIMG_0273.JPGIMG_0270.JPGScreen Shot 2017-08-11 at 9.06.09 PM.jpg

broken case happened from thrown chain, has happened a lot but it is from user neglect. This one is bad you will need to find new cases. Its your bike but in my opinion the cafe thing has been beat to death and I hate seeing the 750s cut up but again it is you bike so build it how you want and what you are happy with.

That license plate mounting on the orange bike is simply horrible, a limb cutter if one lays bike down on that side. Some people have no sense at all.

Dirtdigger- The bike has about 40,000 miles on it. With the case situation as is do you think searching for a different engine would be a suitable/wise option? I know that upper and lower cases are available, but a different (running) engine would likely save me a lot of time. I respect your take on the cafe look being beat to death, and your admiration for 750's. My first order of business is to dissasemble the bike and paint the frame.

amc49- You're absolutely right. Some people simply don't think things through at all.

Depends on what you plan to do with the engine. If you are going to stay stock it may be worth looking for another one you just wont know what you are getting either after all these years unless you find a running bike to take the engine out of. If you are going to rebuild and looking for more power no point in looking for another motor you will just need cases and will be upgrading parts anyway. I would see what the internals look like, if they are in decent shape no point looking at whole engine.

dirtdigger- Thank you for the advice. I'll check out the internals before I decide which direction to go.

Back