• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Given four bikes where do I start

Lowlight

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I', new to the CB750 forums. I was recently given 3 1/2 Honda motorcycles. 1 and 1/2 Honda V45's and a CB750FOUR-K and a CB750 Custom. I'd love to get at least TWO of them running as they have been sitting for a few years. I have NO CLUE as to where to begin and any help would be greatly appreciated. The CB750's are from 1977 and 1978. The two V45's are 1984's. I have clean titles already for the CB750's soon to have them for the V45's.

Pictures are as follows:
The first photo is the 3 and 1/2 bikes in my yard.
The second photo is the CB50FOUR-K and the CB750 Custom in my garage.
The third is the CB750 Custom in my garage.

Again, any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated. Hopes and aspirations? To build a bobber style motorcycle out of the two CB750's. Thanks.

Note: I plan on doing a LOT of reading in these forums.

Attachments

• IMG_6747.jpg
    IMG_6747.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_6748.jpg
    IMG_6748.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_6752.jpg
    IMG_6752.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 188
The Custom is at least an '80 as that is the first year for them...............a DOHC, the other is a SOHC.

The Custom is at least an '80 as that is the first year for them...............a DOHC, the other is a SOHC.

Then I have a problem.
The SOHC title has a vin of CB750F21***** and year 1977
The DOHC title has a vin of CB75DK28***** and year 1978 But you say it was first made in 1980. When I get home I'll check this vin against the frame vin. Thanks!

Nice score! The 1977 is a CB750F Super Sport and the other Sohc is your 1978 CB750K. The 77 F super sport looks to be a complete bike, I personally would not chop this bike as complete origanal F's are hard to find. The 78 K model is ripe for a chop. Sart by seeing if the engines turn over with the kick starter. Lots of good help here, and I'm not that far from you in south central PA. Good luck and keep us posted.

Nice score! The 1977 is a CB750F Super Sport and the other Sohc is your 1978 CB750K. The 77 F super sport looks to be a complete bike, I personally would not chop this bike as complete origanal F's are hard to find. The 78 K model is ripe for a chop. Sart by seeing if the engines turn over with the kick starter. Lots of good help here, and I'm not that far from you in south central PA. Good luck and keep us posted.

K2750tracy thanks!

So you're saying that I should "Cafe" the CB750F and "Bobber" the CB750K. Sounds like a plan to me. I could go out and buy a bike but I want to build my own from these old bikes by bringing life back to them. I hear that there is a place in Martinsburg, WV called Busted Knuckles who used to be in Winchester, VA. I'm looking to use them for most of my build. Engine did turn over when I stepped on the kickstarter (so I assume that's a good sign). I was told to remove the spark plugs and to put just a bit of Marvins Mystery oil in the spark plug holes. I was told that three of them ran before being relegated to sitting under a deck for several years. If I can get the two chain driven bikes to run I'll be quite pleased. Not sure what to do with the V45 Sabre's as they are shaft driven.

Help me to understand 77 CB750F (front bike in photo in garage) = SOHC ( don't chop, cafe?) and 78 CB750K (rear bike in photo in garage) = DOHC (chop, bobber?)....correct?

I keep telling myself, "I can do this..."

77 CB750F is the one outside with the faring on it, 78 CB750 K= SOHC is the front bike in garage photo. Blue bike in garage is the 80 DOHC cb750. Take the fairing off the 77 and restore to origanal, bob or cafe the 78K and do what you please with the 80. In the long run they are yours to do whatever you want, just my opinion.

Lowlight next weekend the 18th 19th and 20th there is a vintage jap swap meet and show in Pa, might interest you. Great show, we get around 200 vendors for the swap meet ( i'm one ). Just Google White Rose MC for info and directions. And yea you can do this, its even fun!

77 CB750F is the one outside with the faring on it, 78 CB750 K= SOHC is the front bike in garage photo. Blue bike in garage is the 80 DOHC cb750. Take the fairing off the 77 and restore to origanal, bob or cafe the 78K and do what you please with the 80. In the long run they are yours to do whatever you want, just my opinion.

The one with the fairing outside and the one in the front in the garage are the same bike minus the fairing. Doubtful that ANYTHING will remain original. As for that swap meet....I'm looking forward to it. Thanks!

Sidenote: Something like this is what I would like to build.

Ok, as I stated, I was told to remove the spark plugs and to put just a bit of Marvins Mystery oil in the spark plug holes. Just how much should I put in each hole? What is the purpose of this? Should I first try and take out the motor? I have NO CLUE. I'm only going to mess with one bike at a time and I guess it's gong to be the 77 CB750F.

Sometimes the correct socket does not fit because the wall thickness is too thick even though the socket will actually go over the plug fine itself..................dunno about those SOHC but my 550F is like that, a dedicated thin wall spark plug socket just for it at 5/8".

Yes the sohc needs a thin wall socket. I use the one that came in the tool kit. I welded a socket to the back so I can use it with a ratchet.

Update. I have the CB750F and the CB750 Custom in my garage. I wanted to replace the spark plugs, change the oil, filter & fluids before doing anything else. Just for grins and giggles I hooked up a battery jump box to each of them, turned the key, hit the start button, starter spun. engine rumbled on EACH of the two, HUGE grin appeared. I disconnected the battery boxes and will proceed with my original plan (replace spark plugs & fluids). Not sure where these bikes will evolve from here but I can say that I am quite happy.

Hello, Don't want you to think I've forgotten about my build. I'm generating an extensive list of thing I need to buy and want to do. But in the mean time I've added a new project to my garage.
Cobra.jpg

Sweet project! The cobra is my favorite car. What engine does it have. I assume this is a kit car, do you know what company made it? The factory Five's are one of the nicest.

It's a Factory Five kit. I don't have an engine for it yet. I do have a Tremec TKO-600 5 speed transmission for it. Has a Stock Mustang GT Rearend.

Back