• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Isolating the charging problem: Do these readings mean the stator/generator is bad?

deathwing

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Found that I have a charging issue with this bike. No biggie. It was gifted to me, and I got it running pretty well. But found the battery was pretty much dead by the time I got it home, after running the headlight. Thought I'd do some digging and start checking off a few things to isolate the issue. I've charged the battery, and it has 13.7v.

Next thing I'd try (for the first time ever) is testing the resistance on the 3 yellow wires going from the rectifier to the stator. Assuming I did this correctly, and that I have the correct ohms setting selected on my multimeter, it looks like the issue is in the stator/generator. Can anyone confirm I have this correct?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
We cannot confirm with an assumption like that in place. You don't even give any values. Like asking us if your tires are flat or not without even letting us see the bike.

You can often charge even a totally dead bad battery to 13+ volts and worthless as well. 13.7 says surface charged only and might not have spit in 10 minutes when a short bleeds it off.

Stator/generator then includes the field too, what about it?

do you have a honda repair manual? It gives you the test procedure and specs you need. We have no idea what meter you have so cant help you on making sure you are on the right setting. Suggest watching some videos on multimeter use if you dont know how it works. Cant just jump into these things having no idea, gotta have the right meter use techniques or any numbers you get are worthless, cant diagnose a problem with faulty intel.

Any takers? I tested my multimeter as well, touching the positive/negative leads. And after a few seconds it eventually lands back to 0.0

That part seems OK now and meter on the correct switch but that is only part of yellow wire testing, you have to check for each grounding improperly too. Your .5 there being different might be showing you an issue there, it's partially grounded and less resistance because of it.

You still haven't said a word about the battery quality, which can kill you even if the system is working right.

Back