• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

electric start not working

ko7504k5

CB750 Member
Reaction score
My 750 k5 electric starter switch not working. bike has 21000 miles of which I have put 5000 on it in last couple of years. never had any problem. Recently it stopped working for a couple of days and then started working again. Now it is kaput. Bike kick starts fine but would like to get to the bottom of this. Fuses are all good. Thanks for any suggestions. P.S. I do my own tune ups and have some electrical experience so fire away.

Have you checked powers at the starter solenoid when the button is pushed? Gotta start checking for powers at various places to determine where you are not getting power.

Lots of the time it's the crap quality little start button switch itself, I have faked one by using a momentary mini pushbutton switch gotten from Fry's electronics before. Maybe $5 for switch but getting it in place working becomes the issue next, you will need soldering and miniaturization skills there. Mine worked for years though once I came up with it on a likely the same CB550F.

The $80ish solenoid can be next and I've replaced with lawn equipment solenoids for like rider mower before at $20 per part but you again get to figure out how to mount and wire it.

electric start

My 750 k5 electric starter switch not working. bike has 21000 miles of which I have put 5000 on it in last couple of years. never had any problem. Recently it stopped working for a couple of days and then started working again. Now it is kaput. Bike kick starts fine but would like to get to the bottom of this. Fuses are all good. Thanks for any suggestions. P.S. I do my own tune ups and have some electrical experience so fire away.

I checked the starter switch. when button is pushed it goes to ground. I checked solenoid- have power to the rear contact ( I believe it comes straight from battery), No fire going to the starter, even when start button is pushed. I read the forward pole (front of bike) it reads to ground.

I checked the starter switch. when button is pushed it goes to ground. I checked solenoid- have power to the rear contact ( I believe it comes straight from battery), No fire going to the starter, even when start button is pushed. I read the forward pole (front of bike) it reads to ground.

Do you hear the solenoid click when starter button is pressed? Short the two big cables at solenoid with a screwdriver (PLEASE be in neutral while doing this!) and see if starter whirls up, if so solenoid likely.

If battery is weak it may not switch the solenoid either.

Last edited:
Back