• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Kick start doesn't return.

Radioone

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my situation. Recently purchase a 1973 Honda CB750 that the previous owner was restoring but lost interest. When I bought the bike the motor was removed and with the exception of a rolling frame, most parts were in boxes. I now have the motor in the frame and am planning to get it running before tearing it down again. The motor turns over but so far does not run. The clutch springs are missing and the shift linkage has been removed. I'm capable of rebuilding the clutch and shift linkage but today discovered that the kick start does not return. When I use the kick start the countershaft sprocket turns so it must be in gear. I read that the likely cause is a broken kick start return spring and the only way to repair is to split the cases? If that's true I assume my only other option is to use electric starter only? Any other reason why the kick start doesn't return? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I also discovered that the electric starter has been removed. Much thanks.

Yes you have to split the case to fix anything with the kickstarter. Sounds like a broken spring assuming it moves free and it doesnt take any force to move the kickstarter back up. Its really hard to say for sure if it is safe to start with the kickstarter the way it is, there is always a possibilty that parts could be broke and floating around and could cause some damage. as far as the electric start, you will have to see if just the motor has been removed or if the sprockets under the left cover have also been removed.

Thanks. The kickstarter is actually hard to move in both directions. Manually returning the lever feels like something is binding. Any ideas what may be causing binding that prevents return spring from working?

There should be no resistance at all going back up. You need to tear it apart, something is either broke, seized or bent. Part of the kickstart assembly is also one of the gears that runs the oil pump so I would highly suggest you tear it down and fix it or you could be ruining your engine. You dont have to disassemble the top end, make sure all the oil has drained and flip the motor upside down and split the cases...all the kickstart part are in the bottom half.

Ok thanks. I may have discovered the problem or at least some good news. Today I removed the clutch cover. As soon as I began loosening the bolts, the kick start snapped back to the top. Because I am waiting for clutch springs I didn't bother with installing the gasket. Apparently that resulted in the kick start rubbing against the inside of the case. At least now I know the spring isn't broken.

Back