• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Advancer, Crankshaft, Bearings Oh My!

TexasRat

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Here we go.

So I bought a 1980 cb750 custom from a buddy of mine for pretty cheap. He bored the cylinders, replaced piston rings, tuned it up and then preceded to let it sit for 2 years.

After washing the tank, new and gapped spark plugs, and new battery. Fresh oil and clean carbs I finally got her to crank up, only to find she burned on two cylinders.

1 and 4

I took off the left plate cover and found that the advancer unit was wobbling in place and colliding with the terminal for cylinders 2 and 3 and causing some damage.

I removed the plate, have a new one now. And when I removed the advance unit I noticed this wear on the crankshaft.

http://imgur.com/a/WRyyh

This may be why it's not seating properly and wobbling, or the shafts itself is bent. Any ideas on a possible fix? Hopefully one that doesn't involve replacing the shaft.

Remove the outer starter clutch to bare the end of crank. Take a fine flat file and lightly redress the burr sticking up to remove any highs there and leave a dead flat surface. The notch is wallowed out, you need to mark the center very finely and the crank as well and put part back on using loctite on the bolt and then torque it slightly past the book figure. They do come loose sometimes and Honda began to loctite themselves attempting to stop it.

Remove and loctite the lower chewed up bolt shown in your pic, 3 of them. They come loose even more than the advancer one does and starter issues when they do.

Back