• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Life expentancy of cam and primary chains

Some of it depends on the climate. You'll do better up there. I have heard of very rare cases where they can go up to 80,000 miles but here in Texas the rubber on the tensioners is cracking by 25,000. Often broke by 35,000. Flex the main tensioner bow and you can see cracking if it has started. The chains last depending on how often they are adjusted, less and they die quicker, the extra whip doing it. Replacement chains can be a whopping problem with many not lasting nearly so long as the OEM ones. Smaller pins used in them. Common to strip aluminum out of threads from a lot of adjustment, if apart a good idea to helicoil the front outside hole.

It has been found that the front run of the crank to cam chain has a guide that comes nowhere near the chain and the chain whips at speed even when adjusted tight, there are new guides that take care of that issue. Instead of dead straight and 3/8" away from the chain they kiss it and run the chain in a bow like the back run does, it makes chain last MUCH longer as it cannot whip at all then.

Hi, Again I am indebted to you for help. The new guides that you speak of, where can I get them from, do you have a part # ? I am still looking for the upper guide for the primary chain, both David Silver and CMS say not available. I have various wanted ads on Ebay etc but no joy yet. Do you know of any after market guides?
Mine is cracking up, rather like me really :)

http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=77386

Go there, sign up for free and then you are looking for that guy mentioned in that thread, his design of the guide shown in first pic. He goes by 'Captain' on the site; named Brent, and races probably the fastest DOHC in the world. Based in New Zealand. He sells those but they are like $90-$100 + shipping. No part number, they are aftermarket and only small numbers made at a time. Be aware that 750 and 900-1100 are different length parts so say so, the blocks on the bigger engines are about 1/4" (6 mm.) taller.

Hi,
I have received the info from Brent, thanks for passing on his address etc. I have decided to stick with OEM parts, one reason is I will only be doing about 1000 miles a year as the bike will be a sunny Sunday bike only. I have an 11 year old BMW for normal riding out.
Catch you later.

Back