• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Cylinder head washers

IIRC there is a rounded slightly outer edge on one side and the other side is dead flat, the dead flat goes to the head.

camera phone took a cool picture. no idea how it did it, but I took a pic of the washers.

Both sides of the washer appear "squared" no round edges. With that being said, I installed the copper side down against the head. My theory is that the washer absorbs some kind of crushing or averageing of the head so I think it should go against the head instead of under the nut....I'm just guessing here...

20170817_211402.jpg

More to confuse the planet. The aluminum itself is soft and gives to a certain amount to seal better. Ever seen aluminum drain plug washers? I would likely put the copper against the bottom steel of the nut as the steel will NOT be giving to seal there. You generally seal with a hard surface next to a soft one that gives in malleablility. So, aluminum/steel/copper/steel there. I thought those washers were rounded at the stamping but I see so many I could be totally full of crap.

Yes, I know, it's exactly opposed to the copper washers used next to the aluminum of the oil pan at the arrows. But those have to seal against the steel of bolts too.

It really shouldn't matter which side goes where if one uses like Permatex #2 or silicone spread over the washer and nut in a fashion to get into the lows to seal as the bolt or nut tightens up. Then wipe around the joint to clean up any that'll fall loose later. The whole idea is to stop oil leaks, there's no secret 'torque holding' thing or other going on there.

See? I got a answer for everything......................

Hi,
I have been thinking about these washers, (I should get out more!) They are a sandwich of steel and copper. I put a magnet to them and that showed that they were not aluminium. Since copper is softer than aluminium and steel is harder I have concluded that the washers fit copper down. On my cylinder head where the washers were steel down the alloy has been chewed up a bit. This is not the case where they were copper down. Therefore I think the copper is there to protect the alloy head as well as acting as a seal perhaps. I have yet to refit the head, so we will see.

See? I got a answer for everything......................

I have been thinking about these washers, (I should get out more!)

You guys are funny....lol...My daughter said, "daddy, you don't need to take pictures of EVERY single part of the motorcycle"

Would a little molybdenum disulfide grease work? It seems like we are splitting hairs here, but I still find these topics interesting...

Back