• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

CB750F Restomod

Hole in the crankcase!

I think/hope the light is playing tricks as I haven't noticed any hole.

I'm sure the rotor will put up a fight though.

The engine is pretty minging externally, hopefully the internals are within limits. The engine will probably be getting powdercoated, at minimum vapour blasted.

Just to the right of the clutch cover dowel, third picture up from the last, might be a piece of paper or whatever, for all the world looks like a hole! I'm sure you would have seen it if it were a hole :yikes:

Nahh that's not a hole, but there might be one in the crankcase soon! Flaming barrels!

Anyway, the bolt to remove the rotor came. After a couple of grunts and cracks she popped off nicely.

DhSYXmc.jpg

Undid the upper crankcase bolts then span the engine over and whipped the sump off. Bit minging, and I found a bolt head in there.... Must be the one that had been snapped previously. Which could mean things are buggered.

iDSXwuk.jpg

PIxqi81.jpg

Anyway, undid the rest of the bolts on the bottom and gave the casings a good few whacks. They didn't want to come apart, so I put a long bolt in two of the threads and tapped them down whilst holding the bottom casing.

aUMylkY.jpg

iXbmiaM.jpg

oJbIG8i.jpg

Put all the internals in bags and sealed them up. Probably should have got the front sprocket off the output shaft of the gear box but hey ho.

Got the crankshaft etc out and then realised I couldn't pull the pistons without the barrels off. Bugger.

Also the barrels still will not shift. Scared of hitting the underside of them, don't want to damage anything.

Not exactly sure how to get the barrels off now, but I have one last hope. I'll take them to the clubs workshop and get the heat gun on them, see if that helps.

Sorry for not posting in a while!

I injured a ligament in my shoulder in early October and have been off bikes and tools since.

This has however given me time to think about the project and what to do next with it.

I'm torn between the extra power and less weight of a modern water-cooled engine swap, and the cool looks of the original air cooled unit.

One problem with the modern engine would be the cylinder angle, meaning the frame would probably have to be heavily modified or I use a different frame altogether and simply put the CB bodywork on it. One candidate would be an early Honda Hornet as I'd need a spine frame for the tank to fit and look right. This would also mean a mono shock conversion would not be needed.

Things won't progress until mid-late spring anyway as my VFR750 needs attention first before I ride it again.

Back