• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1972 CB750 regulator issues

Justin S

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi there

First time poster

My current issue is my charging system.
i have cooked 2 rick's motor sport regulator/rectifier combos.
everything is wired correctly going to its proper place. i have pulled the side covers off and bench tested the copper coil and everything seems to check out. iam absolutley stumped.

when i hooked up the first rectalator in the garage it seemed to be charging fine i went on a long ride and got back and about 10 mins after it started smoking out of the regulator. similar issue with the second one i cant seem to chase the issue down.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Damaged field coil could do it. An ohms check might not show it too. Stator issues could too, the regulator doesn't work in a void by itself, usually damaged by other parts.

As AMC stated it could be a stator issue, Check the connector block containing the three yellow stator wires the terminals there are usually a trouble spot. I tie and solder the wires together at this spot. Check for arc/burn marks on the terminals.

If the field coil shorts to lower magnetism then the regulator bumps the field up higher trying to get charge back up and then the higher current than normal overheats it to fry.

Thank you very much i did notice some burns on the yellow wires. i happened to have a parts engine so i installed the other side cover with all the guts so hopefully that solved it. i did notice with the side covers off that the rotor had corrosion on it which i find odd due to the fact its a wet sump. so i figure the field coil was breaking down.

Back