• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Thinking of buying a k1 - advice please!!!!!!!

gvhbiker

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking for advice please. I've been offered an immaculate K1. It's in showroom condition & has even won prizes at shows but there is one problem - whoever restored it used a new frame & engine casings but didn't stamp the numbers on them - why? Goodness only knows! All the paperwork checks out, it has a V5C & the bike is registered with the DVLA in the UK - it seems totally legitimate but the lack of numbers concerns me - not in any practical terms but in terms of resale value. The seller has a substantial collection & I have no reason to doubt what he tells me. But, if I am concerned, won't potential buyers be the same a few years down the line? I wouldn't be buying it with the intention of selling but I'm in my 60's so realistically I won't be keeping that long! I know I could drop the engine out, stamp the frame & re-powder coat it & also stamp the engine with the numbers as per the documents but this won't be easy or cheap. If it weren't for the lack of numbers I'd buy it like a shot - it's so good and the price is right with an allowance made for the lack of numbers which would effectively pay for the work stamping it. Any comments/advice would be appreciated. Many thanks Geoff

I would be suspicious of the lack of number on the frame. But if you got the paper work then its a no brainer, stamp the frame and be done with it. Ive never heard of new stock frames without numbers, seems very odd.

No numbers = not legal.

Here in Ca (USA) you could not transfer title with the numbers missing and attempting to do so would result in never ending red tape. Maybe in the UK they don't visually inspect the bike, but here they do and they specifically look to see that those 2 numbers match the paperwork.

I would request the seller stamp the proper numbers in the proper places before any transaction.

Again, here in the USA, the DMV is the one who stamps the new VIN on vehicles that need one for any reason, after it passes all their physical and document inspections. I do not know if the UK allows owners to do it themselves.

Back