• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New Here/Looking at a CB900F

Wildman1024

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi guys, new here. I'm currently considering looking at a 82 CB900F. It is 3 hours away so I asked if he would send me a video. As you can hear it pops out the exhaust when he revs it and I was wondering if anyone knew what might cause it. Also would it be an indication of an underlying issue? He is asking $2700 for the bike so I was not expecting to fix it paying that. Thanks for the input

Ask him how many times the valves have been set. Nobody ever does it and then they burn valves pretty quick.

That's too expensive to begin with unless some cherry under 5K mile bike. Myself? $2000 max for one. At that price you could be finding an 1100F which is a whoppingly more robust engine. 900s are frail things and can break pretty easy when pushed just right. Why you find so many of them in the bike scrapyards with holes in crankcases.

Ask him how many times the valves have been set. Nobody ever does it and then they burn valves pretty quick.

That's too expensive to begin with unless some cherry under 5K mile bike. Myself? $2000 max for one. At that price you could be finding an 1100F which is a whoppingly more robust engine. 900s are frail things and can break pretty easy when pushed just right. Why you find so many of them in the bike scrapyards with holes in crankcases.

He has only owned it a year he says. So i'm sure they have not been done in awhile. I know how meticulous you are about them from using search.

It's funny you mention the 1100F. After I posted this thread I ended up finding a 1100F 3 hours from me. It has 15k miles on it and its now an older gentleman who owns it. He has owned it since 1985 (2nd owner). He wants $2500 for that.

W=I do not know much about these bikes yet. What should I look out for with them?

A925B79C-BEA6-45CE-8C91-BAF77443DAA1_zpswssslb7e.jpg

E68C2F25-AB27-42AF-AFA7-750C375AD0E7_zpsg41stqxt.jpg

B83673F6-B329-4C91-897C-32F51BA51494_zpsqoakh2tq.jpg

2BE65D60-96BA-4D46-93E9-B67332A50620_zpselfnqiep.jpg

How many times the valves ever got adjusted figures big. The 1100s wear the cams pretty quick as they have the most lift. Compression check like on all of them says a lot.

Make sure it's charging at the alt, common for the rotors to fail.

That's not bad mileage for that one. Already got a nice pipe and Corbin seat on it too.

I'd buy one of those way before a 900 as they have the much better rods than the spindly ones that break so easy on 900s. Much stouter cylinder block as well. Better main cam chain tensioner too.

Wear and tear like on anything. Your call daddio.................

How many times the valves ever got adjusted figures big. The 1100s wear the cams pretty quick as they have the most lift. Compression check like on all of them says a lot.

Make sure it's charging at the alt, common for the rotors to fail.

That's not bad mileage for that one. Already got a nice pipe and Corbin seat on it too.

I'd buy one of those way before a 900 as they have the much better rods than the spindly ones that break so easy on 900s. Much stouter cylinder block as well. Better main cam chain tensioner too.

Wear and tear like on anything. Your call daddio.................

Sounds good. Thanks for your help. I'm most likely going to buy it. I'll go through it when I get it back home and fix the small stuff a little at a time.

Do you still recommend .005" for the valve spec on this also?

Yep. The cam gymnastics are the same on all of them. Worse on 1100 actually, the springs are stouter. One big reason why the cams wear out, the hardened overlay is very thin, then letting the valves get too close to let the clearance disappear then wipes the lobes of oil, extra wear then as soon as the hardening is gone. The clearance is what lets the shim and lobe get oil in small bites. Yes, lots of oil splash there but if the lobe is wiping that off at 100% of the rotation then wear results.

Back