• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Fork seal won't fit

shaunbe

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I attempted to replace the fork seals on my 76 cb750 and the left seal wouldn't fit for the life of me, the right side went right in without any problems but the left side seems the the leg is a slightly smaller size, these forks are off of my late 71 early 72 cb750, is it possible that the right leg might be slightly newer and the left is an older model? I'm stumped, I put the old seal back in for the time being just to make it a roller again, any help would be appreciated, thank all.

Well I did measure the inside diameter of the right side fork legs that the seal did fit into and it was 48mm but I didn't measure the inside diameter of the left leg which is the one that I couldn't get to fit. The fork tubes are both 35mm, I need to Mic the inside diameter of the left leg, I guess that will determine what my issue is.

I know for a fact that the left leg is an early model because of the way the caliper mounts to the leg, and the internals are early on both tubes as everything I have ready says they were changed in 73? I have the front forks from the 76 but am missing the caliper and had this complete front end from an almost complete bike that I've owned for about 11 years just sitting in the trailer.

Well that would explain my problem then, I need to look up the inside diameter of the old versus the later.

Back