• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Front fender delete

Greendemon

CB750 Member
Reaction score
82 cb750c

I've read/heard different sources about the function of the front fender, the obvious being to keep dirt, water, debris out of your face , I've heard that it acts as a kind of "brace" for the front end. I recently did a bit of work on the front end , I removed the front fender and I just don't see how it would brace anything, it's pretty flimsy, seems to bend every way possible, I have seen builds with full fenders on, chopped fenders of different sizes, and some with none at all. Just seeing if anyone knows from any credible sources or knowledge from experience. Thanks

You should take apart an aircraft wing, the parts are so flimsy you won't believe it, yet they support all that weight in the air. Many of the stiffening bends and folds are made to work with the part fastened hard in place, they don't strengthen spit with the part out and free. That's what good mechanical design does.

As with most things scientifically designed, it is the complete assembly when bolted together that is much stronger. Although not as strong as a dedicated fork brace the fender DOES add some amount of stiffness there. Drive a sport bike and you can tell the difference pretty easy. When you lean tire it forces the forks on both sides to work more with each other rather than only one flexing the spring and the other not due to deflection. As well, put somebody with their legs tightly on both sides of front tire and then try to move handlebar one way or the other, much easier to warp that with no fender in place. The fender makes your tracking through a turn more accurate.

Back