• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Oil Leak?

burnsie

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I noticed some oil leaking out of the left side of my engine (1978 cb550). I checked the oil level and it was a bit high so I went ahead and did a full oil change and made sure to fill to proper level. The leak persists at at seems to be a lower volume. When I reach 50 mph I see a little trickle of oil running along the top of the gear box. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Look closer, several things it could be. Your question as posed is whoppingly vague. Crank seal, oil pump, sprocket seal are all on that side.

Ok, so on the side of the engine there are horizontal slots. (excuse my lack of knowledge here!) I see traces of oil on the corner (front left corner edge of engine) and this is directly above where I see the oil trickle over the gear box. It only happens when I'm 50 mph + so its really hard to examine closely. Thanks for the reply.

Anyway you can take a picture so we know more about what you are talking about. Think you may be talking about a head gasket seep which this are known for but its hard to tell by your description.

oil leak.jpg

That brownish line is what remains. As i ride that is a trickle of oil only at about 50 mph or higher. Thanks again.

hey man. so i have the gas tank off and the carbs out too (unrelated issue and finally doing the work I shouldve done already). And now I see that there is a drop of oil on the very top of the engine. like right next to the spark plug. so that's above the head gasket, right? possible its another issue? as always, thank you very much for your help.

You'll kind of have to do some looking for yourself, could be a hard valve cover oring seeping or a stud hole seeping or oil could be just blowing up from the wind and still coming from the head gasket.

Back