• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Gas Cap Removal (No key)

Wez_

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
82 CB 750 SC

I do not have the key and would like to remove the gas cap. I am glad technology has improved so no one can tamper with your tank. But how can I remove this cap without the key? The tank has been removed and I have access to the inside of the tank. I pressed down on the crescent styled spring loaded piece on the inside of the tank, but it cannot go in far enough to clear the two notches on either side of the inner piece to allow the cap to release....IDK how to get this thing open...no key

20170420_021713.jpg20170520_142113.jpg

Do you have ANY key at all? Not sure on those but some of the early ones removed with any Honda key of the right cut as far as size and width, they were NOT exact keyed with the tumblers cut for one key only, the main tab of the key only had to be right.

If you have to have new ignition switch then try that one. My 550 is like that, my DOHC key opens it just like the original SOHC key, any generic Honda cut key works. The later stuff may have dedicated cylinders though.

Last edited:
No ignition key neither. These seem like replaceable parts but for now i would like to access certain things like the inside of the tank and the motor

There's a number stamped on the ignition lock cylinder and the helmet holder.
Take the number to a locksmith and have a new key made.
All you have to do for the helmet lock is take out 2 bolts to remove it from the bike.

Maybe not, Honda realized that people were simply walking past bike and recording the key number to then buy a key and then steal bike later, they quit putting numbers on some of the lock cylinders themselves after a time. The key itself has the number though.

Why cussing the PO is such fun..................

Maybe not, Honda realized that people were simply walking past bike and recording the key number to then buy a key and then steal bike later, they quit putting numbers on some of the lock cylinders themselves after a time. The key itself has the number though.
Agreed but the full number is on my helmet lock assembly. Most people don't know it's there as well as the ignition. It's worth a check anyway as mine's a 82 also.

get the number of the lock as everyone else suggested, then look on Ebay (there are a bunch of people who are selling sets that should match your numbers) good luck

If you're still fighting this, I'll check the keys I have at home. I have two caps from my tanks and the matching keys. I'll check to see if the keys work in either cap.

If so I'd be happy to send you one so you can give it a try.

That would be so awesome my friend!! Please let me know if you can spare one or what it would cost me for you to part with.

If you don't mind buying another cap, just put a screw driver where the key goes, punch it in and turn. You basically destroy the lock. I had to do this on an old GS750.
Cheers

If you don't mind buying another cap, just put a screw driver where the key goes, punch it in and turn. You basically destroy the lock. I had to do this on an old GS750.
Cheers

Thanks man. Been trying to do this, but this lock seems pretty robust. I'll try a bigger hammer....

Thanks for the advice

If your going to destroy the lock, just drill it out, safer then hammering on the whole thing and maybe caving in the top of the tank. A high quality 5/16" bit should do it. That'll remove most of the tumblers and then you can spin the rest.

If your going to destroy the lock, just drill it out, safer then hammering on the whole thing and maybe caving in the top of the tank. A high quality 5/16" bit should do it. That'll remove most of the tumblers and then you can spin the rest.

OK, great. This is what I was trying to confirm. I found someone online doing this, but wasn't sure if I had to drill something specific out.

Thanks man!

Back