• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Headlight socket has no power on high or low

SurferD

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
I rode the bike about an hour over the weekend and I thought everything was fine.
I went to start it today and after turning the key I noticed the left signal bulb and the headlight were out.
I attributed it to old bulbs being energized and not handling it.
I first verified no fuses were blown.
I then proceeded to verify all other things such as horn, flashers, instruments, starter worked.

I did a quick check and the signal bulb socket has voltage so no problem and replaced the 1034 bulb.
The headlight however has 0v. The H4 bulb passes continuity check on both circuits.
I also hooked it up directly and it lights both high and low.
I took apart the hi/low switch and found no voltage at the contacts there.
Headlight fuse to ground has voltage.
the bike has not been modified at all and I don't see an inline fuse listed in the schematic.
What should I check next?

Last edited:
Your headlight fuse at the handlebar clamp IS the inline fuse. Clearly shown on the wiring diagram.

Check the starter switch assembly, headlight power goes into it for the starter button to kill it at starting time. Your new switch may be faulty.

With the help of our esteemed amc49 I was able to track it down to a missing part in my new switch.
There are two slider contacts inside the start button switch.
One is to energize the starter and the other is to cut the light circuit so more power goes to the starter.
One was missing in the new unit.
I took apart my old one and put a slider in the new switch and it works now.

Back