• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Tank paint

SeattleRod

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bike is finally in one piece after a year's worth of work, bringing the bike back to life. Paint job was done (fenders, headlight bucket, side covers and tank) and as I'm vacuum syncing the carbs, the auxiliary gas container hanging over the bike decided to develop a leak and a few drops landed on the tank.
That's when I realized that the paint and clear coat were not gasoline resistant [emoji20]
Now I have 3 drops on the tank. How can I fix it? Sand it off and repaint?
And if so, what kind of paint do I use?

Otherwise the bike is running great and is so much fun to ride. [emoji1360] 140 miles in 4 days [emoji16]

35aed6f13ca2fd0a15545bbd45984551.jpg

34ae96c638e7f5cdb1ffab067ed381fd.jpg

unfortunately it will be a bitch to blend in new clear if you use ROPro.
I use that all the time and love it.
But, tanks should be done with fuel resistant clear as you now know.
You could reshoot with a different clear but it may not be compatible and give you more trouble like orange peel.
Anyway I'd just leave it and be really careful at fill ups.

Thank SurferD, I'm gonna enjoy the bike for now and maybe eventually get it done professionally. I'm carrying a towel with me to put around the tank hole to catch any spill.

I really like the patterm of the paint.
Classic swoop.
What seat is that?

I got the seat form eBay. This guy makes the seats with original seat pans. He's got all kinds of designs. I picked a design and then added my own touch to it, like red stitching and the red stripe.

I got the seat form eBay. This guy makes the seats with original seat pans. He's got all kinds of designs. I picked a design and then added my own touch to it, like red stitching and the red stripe.
I thought it was a Corbin but they only make seats for the F model.
What's his info?

You already have orange peel in the clear, so my suggestion would be to sand out the orange peel (do not buff at this stage if you plan to add the fuel resistant clear), then recoat with Spraymax 2K clear. Lay the clear on in medium wet coats with the plan to wet sand and buff the 2K clear. Clear has a tendency to produce orange peel more than the color coats. The Spraymax 2K is a two part clear that is fuel resistant and can be purchased in aerosol spray cans.

"Orange peel" is not peeling paint, more a description of the surface texture and I can definitely see orange peel in your picts. Wet sanding the orange peel out of the clear up to 2500 grit, followed by buffing with the appropriate polishing compound will really make the color pop.

You might reach out to Spraymax to confirm compatibility with the product you have on there now.

You already have orange peel in the clear, so my suggestion would be to sand out the orange peel (do not buff at this stage if you plan to add the fuel resistant clear), then recoat with Spraymax 2K clear. Lay the clear on in medium wet coats with the plan to wet sand and buff the 2K clear. Clear has a tendency to produce orange peel more than the color coats. The Spraymax 2K is a two part clear that is fuel resistant and can be purchased in aerosol spray cans.

"Orange peel" is not peeling paint, more a description of the surface texture and I can definitely see orange peel in your picts. Wet sanding the orange peel out of the clear up to 2500 grit, followed by buffing with the appropriate polishing compound will really make the color pop.

You might reach out to Spraymax to confirm compatibility with the product you have on there now.

Madmtnmotors, thanks for the info and yes, I do have orange peel and I knew that eventually I had to sand it off and re-spray the tank. Now I know what to use. Thanks again.

Any issues coming from. Vietnam?

Not at all. It took 2 weeks to get here once he was done with the seat, which it took him 2 days to make it. He responds to emails right away. I sent him an email with the seat I wanted plus my customization (red stitching, red stripe and 2inch shorter), he confirmed it and 2 days later I get an email saying ha had shipped the seat.
If you don't like it, he takes them back and makes you a new one.

I do have orange peel and I knew that eventually I had to sand it off and re-spray the tank

You do not have to re-spray just because of the orange peel. The orange peel in the clear coat is usually wet sanded smooth up to 2500 or even 3000 grit and then buffed shiny. The only reason to re-spray in this case is to get a fuel resistant clear. Most top clear coats (even the Spraymax 2k) are prone to orange peel and are typically laid down in wet medium coats with the understanding that they will have to be wet sanded smooth and buffed to a shine. I just painted the bumper wrap on my 02' Mustang that will have to get wet sanded and buffed to bring out the shine.

If the products are compatible you can spray the 2K right over the existing clear. You would wand to sand it with a 320 or so to promote adhesion of the new clear. A single aerosol can of the 2K clear should be enough to do your tank.

You do not have to re-spray just because of the orange peel. The orange peel in the clear coat is usually wet sanded smooth up to 2500 or even 3000 grit and then buffed shiny. The only reason to re-spray in this case is to get a fuel resistant clear. Most top clear coats (even the Spraymax 2k) are prone to orange peel and are typically laid down in wet medium coats with the understanding that they will have to be wet sanded smooth and buffed to a shine. I just painted the bumper wrap on my 02' Mustang that will have to get wet sanded and buffed to bring out the shine.

If the products are compatible you can spray the 2K right over the existing clear. You would wand to sand it with a 320 or so to promote adhesion of the new clear. A single aerosol can of the 2K clear should be enough to do your tank.

Madmtn, thanks for clarifying the process. I found the spray can on Amazon and I'll get going with the project once I'm back home this weekend. Thanks again for the info.

Back