• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

newbie here, need some basic info

towdoctor

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 70's style chopper that I intend to build, it is in rough shape. Good AMEN frame and springer front end with a stuck 750 in it. I am looking for a donor bike with a title to transfer but am at a loss what to look for. Is there a major difference in earlier and later cb 750s? If so what are they? For period correctness, I would rather a very early 70s bike if that makes any sense to you. Any advice is appreciated.

70 thru 78 are basically the same sohc motor. you may have to do some sprocket swaps, etc depending on what motor your frame was set up for...the later sohc motors had the countershaft sprocket out a bit farther then the earlier ones. The earlier the more power they made, every year they lost a little power due to emissions etc. Until you get to the 77, 78F they had the most power of all the sohc but they also had an issue with valve train but that can be fixed but will cost a bit of money to make them as reliable as the early sohc. 70 to 72 are the best sohc in my opinion.

Thanks for the info, very helpful. My plan is to find a bike with a title, hopefully running for the engine and necessary electrical components and wiring and proceed from there. The donor bjke search continues...

Check your state laws you may not need to find another with a title.. i have the same problem with mine but i've got two options..i dunno which i'm going with... one is to get the serial number of the engine i'm using actually etched onto an Amen Savior plate (which are avail on line) and the other is to have the state re-vin the frame.. I'm not sure which road i'm going down until i can actually look at my frame to figure out what is going on with this.. guess some states even do 'custom built' and i guess that's how they re-vin them but i want my to reflect the 70s

I wouldnt vin the frame with the engine number, the engine vin is never the same as the frame vin not even from the factory. If you throw a chain and wreck the case with the engine vin on the title then what?

Then they simply won't match if you swap engines.. not a requirement that they do, most states simply require a serial number of some sort on the frame itself..

Back