• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

solenoid click

wizard

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
been hooking up my wireing i have head light and tail light have a battery that is reading at 12.8 volts i have been testing everything when i hit the momentary contact button all get is a click any ideas where to start looking i hate wires need me an herbal stress reliever :smoke: before i climb the tower next my house

Is this a stock 750 wiring harness? Are you talking about the starter button??? Need little more info as to what you have.

i have an aftermarket harness my wife got me as a present i believe it is from cb750 supply. the donar i had did not have the stock button and i am running a small fairing with a dash so i added a momentary contact button to it for a start button

Do you have a test light? Can you check for voltage at the terminals on the solenoid? Just because the solenoid clicks doesn't mean the solenoid is completing the circuit internally for the power to the starter. Should be battery voltage on one all the time then should be voltage on the other side when you activate the solenoid. Do you have a good ground from the the motor to the frame to the battery negative?

ok it has the corect voltage on one and the other does not it says 12.3 on the one side and only says .2 even when the button is pressed

You are on the big terminals on the solenoid correct? Not the two little ones. If you are then the solenoid isn't making contact inside. If you can easily get to it give it a tap on the side with a screw driver or something to see if it is just stuck, it could jar it loose. The contacts are either dirty or bunt in which case you will need a new solenoid.

ok cool i will go do that and post back could i have a ground issue or anything simple i am over looking i know some times it becomes a forest for the trees kind of thing when you look too long at something

If you are not getting power out of the solenoid then the solenoid contacts are bad, as long as the solenoid is actually clicking which you said it is. Unless I am missing something. Give her a wack and see if it changes.

There are wiring diagrams in one of Travis's photo gallery also if you need to look at a wiring diagram.

ok man tapped and nothing screw driver touched both post and it tried to pop over so i am guessing bad solenoid for sure thank you very much for the help

Back