• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1981 CB750 carburetor removal

oldcop48

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Followed all the steps in my Clymers manual plus review of other sources. Need to remove from bike to clean and rebuild. Problem is that after following all the steps, all bolts removed, battery box moved etc., cannot get carb unit to pull free from intake ducts; it's like they're cemented in place. Carb unit popped right out of the ducts to the air box. Tried WD 40 but still stuck. Don't want to use pry bar afraid of slipping and damaging carbs or cam covers etc. any help is appreciated,

Could be that the rubber boots have lost their elasticity over the years, mine were the same when I tried to remove the carbs. I pointed my shop heater directly at the boots for an hour or so (a hair dryer will do the job too) until the boots are nice and warm. This should make them more pliable, and the carbs should pop right out.

I did the same thing when I wanted to re-install the carbs - make sure the boots are warm and pliable and you should find the carbs are easier to re-install

Yes heat is the key.
A real gun is better but a hairdryer works.
Use a small screwdriver to get under the edges.
I made myself a tiny prybar out of a crappy one.
Do not reuse them just buy new genuine Honda boots.
Honda was nice enough to mark them 1-4 and the mold lines orient them.

Like said that tight and the rubbers will crack removing them anyway and time for new ones. People refuse and then chase leaks to cause trouble all day long.

Sorry for delayed thanks just getting back repairs and will let you all know if I'm successful!

Back