• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

VP Fuel Experiences - Warnings, Recommendations, and/or Advice

usmc5811

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been reading VP Fuel brochures and just curious what kind of experiences and opinions are out there from previous users.
Would be mixing 1gal VP to 4gal pump to run in a 1978 CB750K - stock carbs, airbox, pipes - on the road as my "everyday ride".

No point. The compression ration is not near high enough to need more then premium. You would be wasting a lot of money on expensive race gas and you could lose power in the process. If you have pinging or detonation you have other issues.

No point. The compression ration is not near high enough to need more then premium. You would be wasting a lot of money on expensive race gas and you could lose power in the process. If you have pinging or detonation you have other issues.

Thanks for the input.
No other problems, was just considering it as a possible ethanol counter measure.

Do all your fuel grades have ethanol? Not all of our gas stations have ethanol fuel so I just go to the ethanol free stations. Some have ethanol in the premium and most dont now because of the complaints especially from the people that attend the Sturgis Ralley. Many of the stations advertise ethanol free in big letters on their bill boards. You should be able to run a mid grade fuel with no issues but I always run premium for a safety net in the octane department.

Do all your fuel grades have ethanol? Not all of our gas stations have ethanol fuel so I just go to the ethanol free stations. Some have ethanol in the premium and most dont now because of the complaints especially from the people that attend the Sturgis Ralley. Many of the stations advertise ethanol free in big letters on their bill boards. You should be able to run a mid grade fuel with no issues but I always run premium for a safety net in the octane department.

Yeah, everything around here - central Pa - has ethanol in it. I've heard that places that sell fuel for outboard boat motors are "corn free", so was going to scope out local marinas - lots of bass fisherman in these parts.
I always run premium too for same reason as you.

If you are in what is classified as an EPA non-attainment area all the gas you can get is ethanol spiked or some other oxegenating material added. Ethanol is the favorite now that MTBE got the bad rap over chemical spills.

VP is great stuff but only if using small straight amounts like for dragracing and such. Roadbikes use too much fuel to be doing that on any regular basis cost wise and if your compression is not high enough it''s wasted, and even can make some lower compression run slightly worse. You're simply tuning out what it does though by diluting it.

It does NOTHING to counter ethanol per se, which would still be there to show effects, just diluted.

If you are in what is classified as an EPA non-attainment area all the gas you can get is ethanol spiked or some other oxegenating material added. Ethanol is the favorite now that MTBE got the bad rap over chemical spills.

VP is great stuff but only if using small straight amounts like for dragracing and such. Roadbikes use too much fuel to be doing that on any regular basis cost wise and if your compression is not high enough it''s wasted, and even can make some lower compression run slightly worse. You're simply tuning out what it does though by diluting it.

It does NOTHING to counter ethanol per se, which would still be there to show effects, just diluted.

Thanks!
Nice being able to compare "sales talk" and "real world"

Back