• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Center Stand

burnsie

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi. I just installed a center stand on my 1978 cb550. I had to remove two pipes in order to get it in there, but that was great practice. All else went very smoothly and everything seems to be in the correct position. However, trying to put the bike ONTO the center stand is a totally different story. I've watched several videos that all show about the same process and I have followed the steps very carefully. But instead of going back on the stand the bike just rolls backward with my push. I'll try lifting a lot more but I'm thinking maybe theres a trick. Or maybe, as I've heard, some bikes are just not good with center stands.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Step down on the sidestand step while pulling up back by the rear fender. Ive never had issues. Stepping down on the sidestand is just as important as the lifting part. You dont need to pull back on the bike just pull up.

Hi. I thought I'd just reply here instead of starting a new thread. Found my center stand lying on the floor yesterday under the bike. See the pics? Not sure what happened to the bolts, but the brackets have been bent way out of position. Any ideas? I am very hesitant to just try to bend them back for fear of breaking them... Thanks again for your help. image_02.jpgimage_03.jpg

BTDT in another fashion. They will likely break off if you rebend them. The bolts break or fall out and then the yoke there yields to open up due to weight of the bike. The real strength there is the bolts holding the yoke together to be round. As soon as they are gone it opens up like made of tinfoil.

I left my bolts out once and stand off on purpose since bike had a header and I intended to simply pin the stand in place quickly like to drain oil, but found out pretty quick that the yoke opens up with no bolts in place, and almost instantly. So much for THAT idea..............

Back