• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Crack in exhaust pipe

Jarrett_Honda

CB750 Member
Reaction score
If the muffler have a crack in them on the outside does that mean the inside is damaged too? I want to get the crack patched up. It's not in a very noticeable location so it will do until I can get a hold of a new one.

Can chrome even be welded?

Yes but it WILL discolor. I'd be looking for heli-arc rather than simple arc weld unless the guy is very good, often you are messing with varying thicknesses right under the thin outer steel. If close doublewall then the crack may well go all the way through.

Another issue is the job goes so much better and finer with the part off bike.

Yes but it WILL discolor. I'd be looking for heli-arc rather than simple arc weld unless the guy is very good, often you are messing with varying thicknesses right under the thin outer steel. If close doublewall then the crack may well go all the way through.

Another issue is the job goes so much better and finer with the part off bike.
I was planning to take the exhaust in to the shop. How much discoloring will there be? Just the area or will it spread to the whole pipe?

The crack can only be seen by looking through the rear wheel spokes from opposite side.

Well it was worst than I imagined. 😩😓😧

All four pipes have damage to them. Maybe I can feel in the holes with JB weld.
c254907b950d5a547c30882fcaee0ff7.jpg
bc9f316e8f5ac4cbfce901d8a542ba97.jpg
8687b7977c75d5a5b1890bbd2ef5d99b.jpg
1eb6e6ae5a0d7018dfd71e876659c35f.jpg
c69de02175a447fb5466320fecdd3d52.jpg

Didn't wanna say, just let you find out for yourself but very common........................you got enough damage there you won't be patching that with anything.

Back