• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Turn signal diodes

SeattleRod

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I'm installing an aftermarket speedo with integrated idiot lights, for a cleaner look. The new idiot lights have only one turn signal indicator that would flash when either turn signal is activated.
I understand that having two wires coming from the bike harness ( orange and light blue) going into a single wire to the speedo, I need to install a diode on each wire, so I don't have both sides blinking when activating left or right.
The signals share a 10-amp fuse with front/rear brake lights and horn, so would a 3-amp diode be sufficient for the turn signals?
That's all they had at RadioShack :)

Thank you all in advance. Cheers.
SR.

No diodes needed whatsoever. Wire it like old school with only one turn signal indicator bulb. Wire power to the turns themselves and an extra wire to the turn indicator from that too. The turn indicator then has two power wires (one from each side) and no ground. When one side powers up, the indicator gets power from it to light up and the power flows through the indicator to then flow through the opposite light that you do not have switched on. Because the load has already been established to light up the indicator your opposite side main turn does not light up, it only functions as the ground lead for the indicator.

They wired them that way for a century and I just went looking at old docs to confirm as it has been a long time since I wired one. It looks like you are shorting the indicator out with power on both sides but it will work all day long.

Whenever you wire two bulbs back to back using the same power wire through both the first one supplied with power comes on but the second doesn't.

No diodes needed whatsoever. Wire it like old school with only one turn signal indicator bulb. Wire power to the turns themselves and an extra wire to the turn indicator from that too. The turn indicator then has two power wires (one from each side) and no ground. When one side powers up, the indicator gets power from it to light up and the power flows through the indicator to then flow through the opposite light that you do not have switched on. Because the load has already been established to light up the indicator your opposite side main turn does not light up, it only functions as the ground lead for the indicator.

They wired them that way for a century and I just went looking at old docs to confirm as it has been a long time since I wired one. It looks like you are shorting the indicator out with power on both sides but it will work all day long.

Whenever you wire two bulbs back to back using the same power wire through both the first one supplied with power comes on but the second doesn't.

amc49, that's awesome man, tank you. I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I was abroad and internet in China is worst than dial-up for foreigners.
I'll do that once I get home this weekend. If I do it right, I'll have working gauges, working new turn signals and working both left and right control switches.
Thanks again man, I really appreciate it.
SR.

No problem............I used kawasaki triples for an example to look up the diagram as i knew those wired like that, plenty of examples here............

http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/

...go to wiring diagrams on that page and pick one out and look. I used the S series (250, 350, 400) smaller threes.

Back