• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1982 CB900 Custom rechroming//removing baffles

vicrider

CB750 New member
Reaction score
New member here working on a 900 custom and am about to get the stock 4 into 4 pipes rechromed. The chrome shop wants the baffles out, broken down to bare minimum before I bring them to them. My boss, the owner, does not want to change the exhaust style, so while I know that it would be cheaper/easier to just replace the pipes, that's not an option available to me. I have drilled out the endcap rivets but wasn't sure of a good way to pull them without causing damage. Are the baffles with the endcaps at the end of the pipe and it all comes out as one? I can't tell if the endcap is separate from the tip coming through or not and didn't want to just go pulling on whatever. Any insight would be appreciated. Pictures even better. I have searched for about an hour online and can't find anything explaining these.

Absolutely not. All you will get out of there is a very short stub pipe that forms one of several exhaust loops that occur inside. It is virtually impossible to pull baffles out of later Honda pipes, they are intended to be no longer removeable and weld in so many places that removing all the welds will have the outside full of holes like swiss cheese and ruined. Honda did that to make sure it is much harder to mod knowing the issues loud bikes have on the general public mind and determined to stop as much of that as they could. Federal minimum noise requirements fit in there too.

IT CANNOT BE DONE.

For an idea of what I'm talking about look under the muffler bottoms and begin to count all the small round divots you barely see there, each one of those is a baffle weld spot and you will have a bunch of them, as well, pipe commonly welded to the headpipe and a big muffler inside attached at that same weld. Meaning scads of ruinous grinding to get all of that out.

BTDT, you end up with a scrap pile of cut pipe everywhere.

Back