• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Shortened chain - shortened wheelbase

Motorhead

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, hope you've been all doing well.
Today I went to a shop to replace the driving chain (the only service I don't do myself). I have ordered a 108-link chain as per the manual (530, 18/46).
After the job was finished, the young mechanic has proudly announced that my chain was too long and he shortened it by a link (making it 106).
At first I didn't really took note of it, the chain slack was alright and everything worked. But the then the bike was handling a little differently, as if the rear suspension became harder.
When I looked at the bike again, I noticed that the rear wheel position has notably changed, especially when you look at the rear sprocket position relative to the chain guard (look at the pic).

0fa8e7c899aebf2680da96574d24a1a8.jpg

I recon the wheelbase has shortened at least by an inch.

Is it safe to ride like this? Again, the chain slack is OK, but the bike feels different.

You are fine anywhere in the slot there as long as both sides are even. You can tell that by the side adjusters which have a mark that matches marks on the swingarm and count to make sure both sides the same.

The issue could be how did he go about refastening the chain back together, many have no master link and not intended to be cut if the o-ring type.

He likely cut chain to be able to get it on without major disassembly, the swing arm has to remove with endless chain.

Chain slack is checked off the stand and rider weight added, not with bike on stand, the chain tightens when loaded as the suspension changes angles.

Could he have re-adjusted shocks for the chain? Your 'feeling different' thing.

Leaving chain longer would have the axle further back close to center of slots and where it usually runs.

Thanks amc49.

Yes, I did check the slack off the stand with a friend on the bike.

The chain wasn't of the endless type (actually, I have never seen an endless replacement chain here), I ordered 108 links including a master link which they rivet on the bike at the shop, so making the job easier was not the point. He just saw that the wheel can sit closer to the front and he cut off a link.

He didn't adjust the shocks (I checked again to be sure after your reply).

They said I should be happy because the bike is shorter now and is supposed to be more agile.

But it also feels like there's less load on the front suspension now (which makes sense as I now sit further back in relation to the wheelbase). The steering feels a little more vague than it was before. Maybe dropping the triples down the forks a little bit should do for better front feeling? I know that messing with the rake can be risky, so I wonder if that's the way, and if it is, by how much is it safe to drop?

Can't drop much for bar hitting top of tubes, and travel limitations. Less trouble if you have the clip-on type split bars like Euro ones.

Back