• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Installing an aftermarket starter/stop switch on my 1980 750c

SeattleRod

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gent,

I need to acknowledge that I'm a complete numbnut when it comes to electrical work. In an effort to declutter the handlebar, I wanted to install smaller switch controls on each side and started with the right side.
As always, I have more wires on the bike than what the new switch requires and I can't figure out how to wire this switch control.

This is the diagram:
698be4b8cd10b54098441f986749a7ab.jpg

And this is what the new switch came with:

e66f16d5a7a35730230f4132b10f82aa.jpg

So, this is what I have:

5b6ef7dbc43cf59f4bda9806ec78e0fb.jpg

I'll keep working at it but I'd love to hear if you have any ideas.

Cheers,
SR.

The words 'optional pass thru' are kinda stupid, what exactly does that mean? A true pass thru by definition of the words (at least where I went to school) doesn't even need to go in the switch.

You gotta test various switch positions to see exactly what opens and closes the 'pass thru' (if they do indeed open and close) to know its' worth and application.

You're also listing front brake wiring, at least in the middle pic, even though it goes to a separate switch probably not included in that one. The pass thrus if anything are likely for the headlight cut-out that occurs when the starter is engaged.

Yes, I was also confused with the "options bypass" and I didn't even study all this in school [emoji16].
I labeled them as brakes because these wires are the ones connecting to the brake lever. Looking closer at the diagram and after running a test with the multimeter, I think the connections will be as follows:

Black/white to red/white
Black to red/black
Black to black
Yellow/red to blue/white

Bridge black/red with blue/white.
The only difference would be that the headlight will stay on while the starter is engaged.

Your thoughts?

Back