• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1974 with over 90,000 miles

Jlapp77

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I'm currently looking at a 74 with an engine with over 90,000 miles on it. Current owner says it was rebuilt by the last guy and it looks in pretty good shape and clean. No oil leaks. The only thing I did notice is that it is pretty tough to get into neutral. Any thoughts on the longevity of this engine. What I should expect? Is it even worth buying? 90k seems like a lot of miles to me.
Thanks!

depends on how much they're asking. If it runs and doesnt make any serious noise and the bike is complete Id give a couple hundred for it. You can make your money back just by parting it out. Its getting up there in miles but I have heard of original motors with that many on it. Its going to be very tired though if it hasnt been rebuilt.

That's a lot of miles to me. If you could get documentation on the rebuild to see how extensive it was, that would be great. But, it might have just been a shade tree rebuild, you never know. Price it on the low side, and maybe think about looking at another bike. You don't want to inherit a ton of problems right from the get go.

I know there are people who swear the early DOHC can go that many miles but here in Texas the heat will have the tensioners cooked in 30K miles, they are beginning to shed rubber on every one I take apart. They are cracked at 25K. If somebody doesn't do anything silly the cam chain tensioners are often what bring them down for the count.

In fact, I pretty much view cam tensioning mechanisms as what bring down almost every Japanese 4 stroke over the long term. The rest of the internals can often go much longer than those parts do.

Back