• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Starter solenoid help

Scrambker

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I just bought a 1980 cb750 project for cheap to turn into a scrambler and I've run into some issues with wiring. The guy that had it before me did a hack job and messed everything up. I'm trying to figure out how to wire up the new starter solenoid I just bought but I'm not sure if it's missing wires or what cause the wiring diagram shows wires that aren't on mine. If anyone has the same bike could they post a picture of the solenoid wired on theirs? Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Odds are heavily if they do you will still find all those wires in place. They are for the clutch lever and neutral switch interlocks that keep the starter from coming on unexpectedly. Safety issues there. Even more so maybe with a dirt scrambler where unexpected things often happen.

I'm having a similar problem. Replaced my brake master cylinder and lever and now have a bike that wont start. I also replaced my clutch lever which was broken. My neutral light and oil light no long go on and the starter button does nothing. If I turn on the ignition and cross the terminals on the solenoid the bike starts fine. How can I check the neutral switch with the engine in the frame. It appears the frame obstructs the casing from removal. Can I test the switch another was or just by pass it altogether?

I'm having a similar problem. Replaced my brake master cylinder and lever and now have a bike that wont start. I also replaced my clutch lever which was broken. My neutral light and oil light no long go on and the starter button does nothing. If I turn on the ignition and cross the terminals on the solenoid the bike starts fine. How can I check the neutral switch with the engine in the frame. It appears the frame obstructs the casing from removal. Can I test the switch another was or just by pass it altogether?
Hi, for what it's worth: Having probably disturbed the wiring on the kill switch when working on the brake m.c. that would be the 1st place to check for connections, broken wires etc. The neutral light works in conjunction with the clutch switch so again check the wiring. If you look under the starter motor you will find some wires both green I think, one goes to the oil warning light the other to the neutral switch, With the wire to the oil switch disconnected and ignition on you should get battery voltage on the connector, with a digital multimeter. red lead to the wire, black to the engine casing. No voltage = no feed from the ignition switch. The neutral light: the switch closes when neutral gear is selected, giving a ground to light the bulb. With a gear selected therefore the light is out. Using the probe on the red lead check through the wire for battery voltage. No volts= no feed. If all was fine before the job then you must have created a fault whilst doing so.
Also check the clutch and brake switch are not jammed and you can hear them click when you pull the levers.

Thank you guys for the quick responses. I am 700 miles away from my old Honda and have had to wrap it up for the winter. The bike sits for a good portion of the year and only gets used about three month out of the year during the summer.T have drained my carbs and tank and put her to bed for the winter. So i have until next July to reexamine the problem. I have tried to put the older break parts back on and checked the clutch handle wiring. I still got nothing. I'm going to replace the right hand controls which seem to be questionable. The ignition switch is a bit worn also which may need replacement. I will check it with a meter when I get back north. Corrosion is a problem because of age and sitting for long periods. But I love that old bike. It;s a 1980 Cb 750 C. This is a great site for help and information.
Thanks again. Sailor19026

Wow 1 year later and the bike has a new headlight new right hand handle bar controls and new solenoid. New bulbs in the dash area and gauges and turn signals..... All electrics are working except the starter button, neutral light and oil light. Could my problem be a Clutch/Neutral Rectifier???? I have tested it with my meter and it read power in both direction. I know on my old Triumph if the zener diode went kick starting could be impossible till replacing the diode. Am i in the same situation?
Thanks for all your responses. It is greatly appreciated.
Ed

Back