• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New to the forum

peterke

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I figured I check in to this forum since I've recently acquired a '95 Nighthawk.
Been riding a lot in my teens, but mainly on 125-250cc, and after a good 20 year skipped, I'm back into motorcycling.

Originally I intended to get a ADV bike, I was eyeing the CB500F, but couldn't wait long enough any more to save up for one of those.

This Nighthawk is showing the signs of age, and mostly that the previous owners weren't taking extra-good care of the it.

Anyways, it's running just fine, it starts up no problem, and it GOES :))

The prior owner removed the mufflers from the exhaust, so it's louder than original. While it sounds very sporty, that deep rumble is cool, riding experience is made worse due to its loudnes. Or somehow the helmet traps all the sound.

So I'm on the lookout for an original set of exhaust.

The other thing is: the gearing seems a but short. Or maybe I just like running it at low rev? Seems like it could easily take a 6th or even a 7th gear.
I do 45mph at around 3000RPM (by the way, I personally managed to fix the tach, which was dead when I bought it).

It that what's normal?

Normal. Do some calculation with that same ratio at 9500 rpm and figure out how fast you will be going in high gear.

Fair enough. Yes that comes to 142mph. Way beyond what I'll ever need. I guess the feeling comes from the loudness. Once I get the exhaust replaced with one that has the muffler in it, I'll not have this impression.

Back