• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Installing Accel Coils '81 CB750c

Dbv421

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just got a set of Accel coils for my '81 CB750 Custom. A few questions...

--Is it OK to just swap the old coils with the new ones? Is there any other componeny of the electrical system I'll need to tinker with?
--The instructions recommend changing the (main?) jet in the carbs to accomodate the new coils. What size jets should I use to replace the stock ones?

This is my first project tinkering with an electrical system on a motorcycle, so ANY help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hope you got the correct ones, or the 3 ohm ones. If not you will blow the ignition modules quicker than spit. If the 3 ohm then simply switch them out.

I went that setup long long ago, no jetting needed, they are highly optimistic there as the coils are really not much hotter than the crap OEM ones. I was not pleased with the money outlay vs. result at all.

I then went to a one off GM HEI module setup back before it became common, then the plugs would fire .050" gaps and worlds of difference then but there are other things to do needed. I used waste spark type coils off a GM Chevy Baretta. They cannot be used with the OEM modules for the same reason, lower ohm than the 3 specced and the module fries its' switching transistor.

Back