• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

'81 CB750 rear wheel hub question

The Jimbonaut

The Jimbonaut
Reaction score
Got the rear wheel off yesterday and opened up the hub and drum. According to the Clymers, this bearing retainer is supposed to unscrew, but mine is not moving for love or money, at least not by hand. Here's a photo of the wheel -

Photo%20Dec%2013%206%2013%2040%20PM_zpskgyogvmd.jpg

The bearing retainer is looking a bit beaten up as well (especially on the edge, kinda looks a bit hammered) but even if I could get it off the part is obsolete and unavailable from every online parts shop I've checked. Is it really necessary to replace this part? Are there more important parts I need to check or inspections I need to make (apart from the brake pads)?

It just holds bearing in place along with sealing it. Bearing can be lubed from other side with entire hub/sprocket pulled out. The seal inside retainer of course must be still viable.

The retainer is often left hand threaded, as well, it may be loctited and almost certainly staked in place from Honda, Look close after cleanup for the deep sharp punch marks, to remove it, you have to carefully pick a drill bit of correct size to just barely clear the punch OD to drill into retainer and hub a bit to get rid of the punch impressions or you will utterly destroy the threads removing the part. Done right the part pretty much comes unscrewed but you may have to clean threads up a bit.

If you don't drill the stake marks out.............well, don't, you'll see why.

There's a 4 bolt (K) and 5 bolt (F) hub for those, I forget which way that one unscrews. If you look really close and cleaned up you may find trace thread ending to show you.

Thanks again mate, you're always here to help. I appreciate that a lot

I'll have a crack at this today - also need to remove the bearings which I think I have a plan of attack for...watch this space...

Back