• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Any way to raise the seat height? '91 Nighthawk

PSteelman

'91 Honda Nighthawk
Reaction score
Hey guys, new here to the forums, and the motorcycle world in general.

Just picked up a '91 Nighthawk 750 from Atlanta, it's extremely clean and has less than 15,000 miles on it. I have done research and looked into which bike I've wanted for the past year and settled on either this or an 83-84 650.

I love the bike, started right up and runs great. Everything looks pristine on the outside. But there is one problem. My legs feel kind of cramped on the foot pegs. My thighs-to-calves are at a complete 90 degrees and it's just not all the comfortable. I wear a 30-32' inseam. The highway pegs feel comfortable, but I feel cramped when working the regular controls (when sitting on it, I have yet to even ride the thing and don't plan on it until after the holidays).

Is there any way to raise the seat height an inch or two to give my legs some room to straighten out a little? I know it has an older style Corbin seat, don't know if that actually lowered the height from the OEM seat.
The mechanic there mentioned something about a system that goes under your seat and kind of makes it float, but I can't remember the name. "Been using them 15 years, raises the seat about that much *shows 2 inches with fingers*, it turns a 2 hour seat into an 8 hour seat." Anyone know about this? I've been googling this and how to change my nighthawk's seat height for several hours and have come up empty.

Welcome to the site.......................

Not to rain on your parade but that seat is retained by complicated hooks and tabs and thinking it unlocks with key to come right off, at least the OEM one does. You'll lose that, as well, the seat fits very tightly with the plastic bodywork to flow with the lines of the bike, even a one inch lift is going to likely expose very ugly things you do not want to see. Quick check, remove seat and block it up with anything under it one inch and then look. I'd bet you are not going to like it with all the edges that get exposed there.

I have never heard of any seat moving device like your mech expounded on. But then I don't know everything.

Possibilities in changing the foot control locations? Haven't a clue.

The Corbin may well be thinned, they do that to a lot of them. You may be looking for a THICKER seat rather than one that lifts up. The Corbin guts may be able to have thicker material put on it.

Service manual for bike for free at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/804798/Honda-Nighthawk-Cb-750-1991.html

I suppose you could take your seat to an upholsterer and have them add more foam and make a new cover for it.

Back