• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Need to raise the suspension on my CB750

The Jimbonaut

The Jimbonaut
Reaction score
Here's how it looks now -

51E70DE9-A887-45D5-95EA-1ECBEFE16D8C_zpsgm0d5wuv.jpg

A previous owner chucked some 11¾" shocks on the back which is all fine and dandy but they ain't gonna cut it for the build I have in mind. I want to raise the rear to give the bike a straighter look, thinking 14" - 15", but trying to figure out which size to order.

Is there a trick to playing around with the rear end to mock up how it'll look with different length shocks? 2x4's between the tire and frame? Just want to play around with height adjustments before I order the suspension.

Thanks as always,

-J

That's hideous.

Longer shocks are definitely in order. Why not stock shock length? Mock up can easily be done with a piece of flat bar stock used as a strut in place of the shock, at least 1/4" thick, although 1/8 might work, especially if it were angle iron. Drill a hole at one end for the bottom bolt and drill a series of holes at the other end for 13", 14", and 15" (or whatever length shock you are looking at) so an 18" length of "strut" would be plenty. Keep in mind that anything other than stock shock length affects steering geometry (rake and trail), sometimes negatively.

That's hilarious!

Haven't got a saw in the shop so drilled out some slots for the clevis and another hole 14" down the 2x4 and hey presto -

5D75838F-B6C9-44C3-A26C-E553627068D9_zpsjjzmmiw3.jpg

That's what I'm talking about

Height looks a million times better, frame looks straight and man, I'm digging Rhonda even more with her Jimbomatic rear suspension. Ride might be a little stiff but just look at the lines!

She passed the beer-on-the-frame test with flying colours too =)

That's hilarious!

Haven't got a saw in the shop so drilled out some slots for the clevis and another hole 14" down the 2x4 and hey presto -
Height looks a million times better, frame looks straight and man, I'm digging Rhonda even more with her Jimbomatic rear suspension. Ride might be a little stiff but just look at the lines!
She passed the beer-on-the-frame test with flying colours too =)
You need to apply for a patent on the Jimbomatic Infinitely Tunable Renewable Natural Fiber Damping System.

Last edited:
Back