• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

info needed for 1970 triple trees

markm

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up a 1970 cb750 the other day its a real mess but the motor is not locked up but the rest needs a lot of work. The po put long fork tubes on it and chrome triple trees which the top tree is cracked on both tubes and chrome is shot on them. I will be lowering it back down to stock length.
Ive searched every post on this site about fork swap and did not find anything in reference to what triple trees will interchange.
I do not want to go to gold wing or gs front end. Just a stock cb750 front end. I did follow a link to buy a stem that will press into a bottom tree for some type of front end and it said that their stem fit 69-78.
So can I assume that any triple tree from 69-78 will fit into my neck? As I need to replace my triple trees. I want both top and bottom as the top is cracked and bottom has the chrome peeling off. any help with information will be appreciated. Im including a picture of this bike and you can see why i want to redo the front end and all of the bike.

Attachments

• IMG_20161207_143141394.jpg
    IMG_20161207_143141394.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 167
I personally do not know for starters, someone else will chime in.

If like the later next gen DOHC though, the stem can be different, the holesize for fork tube can change (thinking the same 35 mm. used on all SOHC), the distance between the holes can change and even the rake can change (fork tube no longer parallel to stem, it can rake forward or backward to be at an angle). Meaning the top and bottom have to match as the tube holes are at an angle.

FYI, any stem that 'presses into' a lower likely needs a finalizing weld too for safety.

I'd bet the SOHC were a lot more consistent in size, the fork tube enlargement thing came later. Look at any front turn signal fitment, some trees have extra bosses/holes/tabs for mounting turn signal bases or DOT reflectors. That can be useful.

I think from my researching the 69-70 were the same. I suppose I could put a later whole front end on but would like to just obtain a top tree.

Gotta feeling the SOHC doesn't change up nearly as much as the DOHC does..........may be limiting your search by staying at that super early year, and more expensive too.

FYI, if you find someone that does serious glassbeading or very small shotblasting you can etch the chrome lower possibly enough to not see the flaking any longer, and the part is then paintable too. I've recovered an old chrome header that the chrome was shot on before doing that and painted black you'd think it was a new one.

I would reuse the lower if I can find a top. I have a local motorcycle bone yard not too far I may try them.

I have the entire front end off of my 1977 Cb750F with the triple trees and all if you're interested in that. I'm not sure of the bearing sizes but there are still bearings on the setup I have that you could try if you wanted.

You can buy new bearings for it that will convert the frame shaft diameter to the correct one on this triple tree. I buy my bearings from allballsracing.com and the part numbers you'd need to buy to do the conversion are:
99-3511-5
99-3512-5

I have the entire front end off of my 1977 Cb750F with the triple trees and all if you're interested in that. I'm not sure of the bearing sizes but there are still bearings on the setup I have that you could try if you wanted.

You can buy new bearings for it that will convert the frame shaft diameter to the correct one on this triple tree. I buy my bearings from allballsracing.com and the part numbers you'd need to buy to do the conversion are:
99-3511-5
99-3512-5

Thanks for your reply and offer. I talked to a guy earlier today via text that i had got some parts from before asking if he had one and he told me that he was getting an tree this weekend and would get back to me. But if that dont work out I would ask you , What would you be asking for it? and what would shipping be to zip code 48850?

If your wanting the correct top triple for your bike, and you want to go back to stock, your going to need an early top triple commonly known as a " unicorn " amongst CB750 enthusiast. It's called this because of the center post/bracket that holds the gauge mounting rings. Later models had a gauge bracket that bolted to the top triple with two bolts.
Any top triple from a 1969-1976 CB750K will fit your bike. Unicorn top triples tend to be rather expensive these days, even for a less than perfect one. There are several websites that sell an aftermarket top triple to fit your bike though if your not worried about looking stock. Most of them are a lot cheaper than what you would pay for a unicorn. Be careful if you buy one on E-Bay, I have seen some that were of horrible quality from there. Also, make sure to choose one that let you use your gauges if they are stock, because having to replace your gauges can get expensive. I personally like the top triples from Cycle X, but like I said, there are plenty of other companies that make them.

Back