• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Where to start?

SlipperyPete

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Howdy - I recently acquired a '79 cb750 limited from my uncle and I couldn't be happier about it. He told me he "hasn't ridden it in 15 years, but I've probably been saying that for 15 years." He's right - the tabs are from '87. The outside looks ok, if a bit (OK, a lot) dirty. I want to do as complete a restoration as I possibly can, but have been warned by my wife the bike can't be a money pit. I don't know where to start wrenching or on what parts. I need to start somewhere that gives me a sense of the project being worthwhile or not. I'm thinking I can start by draining and replacing most/all the fluids, get a battery, then see if it even turns over. What if it does? What if it doesn't? What do you suggest? I don't know what to do and am looking for advice. Any and all help is appreciated!
Thanks!

Congrats and welcome to the money pit club! Post some pics.
Drain the fuel (disconnect the line going to the carbs) and carbs(little horizontal screws on the bowls).
Take out the plugs and spray with cylinder lube like Marvel Mystery Oil. Check the engine oil level. Take off the right side stator (round with three 8mm bolt heads)cover and rotate the engine clockwise (frontward) with a 17mm wrench to see if it's seized. If not then put in a battery and check the compression.

Last edited:
Crusty but looks very nice plus a lot of extra bolt ons. I didn't know there was a 10th anniversary model.
Why is there a timing chain hanging off the handlebar?
If it's disconnected DO NOT turn the crank.

I was wondering about that too. I'll have to take the valve head cover off (I think that's where it is, right?) and check it out.

I finally started working on this. I removed the head cover and found that the timing chain is missing. I am trying to figure out why it was removed and if the chain in the pictures that was hanging was purchased new. It looks ok, but has just a little bit of surface rust on a few links.
Does anyone know of a guide or instructions that detail how to install a timing chain?
Thanks!

If that chain is the missing one the engine has to come out and the engine cases split to change it. Major work there. The old one may be broken and lying down in the case where you can't hardly see it. If it broke while running likely bent some valves there too. More major work there. Money pit coming up.

Remove the right hand engine cover as sitting on bike like said in post #2. Then slowly turn the big center nut under it CLOCKWISE ONLY without using force, if it locks up at any point the engine is locked up.

Don't spend a cent until that done, likely you won't be spending anything there.

Back