• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Oil leak from behind the right engine cover

Motorhead

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there all, hope you've been well.
It's since long ago that I have an oil leak from where the ignition pickups' wires pass, in the rear part of the left side cover (not the "points" cover, but the one behind it, on which pickups are mounted). There's a rubber grommet moulded on the pickups' wire harness. I suspect it's deformed.
I tried installing a new original gasket, once with a dab of silicone, once without it, but the leak persists.
Most times it looked as if the leak was negligible, but I found out the oil leaks from there to under the adjacent front sprocket cover and from there it would drip and burn on the exhaust collector.

The oil is probably leaking both between the rubber grommet and the cover, and along the wires inside the grommet. The grommet cannot be replaced unless the whole pickups assembly is replaced.

It seems now the leak is responsible for most of my oil consumption.

I'm out of ideas. Is it a known issue with a reliable solution? I did use a good quality silicone (Victor Reinz), maybe there is a better material for the job?

Last edited:
Not a common leak. Major issue being silicone RTV being used, it will not seal whatsoever in the presence of any oil film residue, the parts must be absolutely bone dry and even up in the hole where the wires run in the grommet. Might try like some 3M Weatherstrip adhesive but the same applies to it too. BONE DRY.

Back